description Channel Uplink Access to VLAN1601
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  switchport access vlan 1601
  channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning
  no shutdown
  state enabled

!

When this port profile is associated to a vmnic the port-channel in created automatically with an auto number.

Is it possible to force the po number to vmnics ? Let's assume that I'd like to have all PO from VEM4 starting with PO4x ?

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently the Port Channel #'s are sequentially assigned during creation.  They do not inherit the vmnic # (unlike the Sub group IDs when using MAC pinning).

If you want administrative control over the assignment of PC numbering you can manually create them instead.  This of course adds a great deal of manual overhead & greater chance for error.  Best practice is to let the system assign the PC#.

Regards,

Robert

Thank's for reply ...

I must use MAC-pinning because I'm connecting vmnic1 and vmnic 2 to different switch (Cat2660) therefore the only possibibility is MAC-pinning that require auto mode isn't ?

You could use the auto "sub-group cdp" option, but MAC Pinning is doing the same thing, and is a better option (doesn't rely on CDP timers which could delay link up) and doesn't require CDP for that matter on the upstream switches (in case of non-Cisco switches or those with CDP disabled).

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: