cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Q] 1000v Queuing Support for ESXi 5 hosts??

pmchandler
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any plans to support queining (Class Based Weighted Fair Queuing - CBWFQ) for ESXi 5 hosts?

In the meantime, what is the accepted way of managing traffic on trunk links whereby packet, control management as well as VM Data and vMotion traffic traverse the same physical links?

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paul it's been supported for a while.

There are many docs on CCO which detail design and configuration such as http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9902/white_paper_c11-704041.html

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert. While the link you have directed me to states "CBWFQ is supported only with VMware ESX and ESXi 4.1 and later" under the "Additional Guidelines and Considerations" heading and also shows the following configuration example in the appendix 

version 4.2(1)SV1(4)

class-map type queuing match-all vm_gold_class

... the actual confiuration guide for version 4.2(1) SV1 (4) says somehting different under the "Guidelines and Limitations" heading - "Queueing is only supported on ESX/ESXi 4.1.0 hosts"

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4/qos/configuration/guide/n1000v_qos_queuing.html#wp1056933

In addition to this, I can confirm that the keyword "queuing" from the class-map type is not available on my deployment which is on EXSi 5.0. I suspect that your link was written prior to testing of this on ESXi 5.0 and it was just assumed it would work on later versions.

I would like to be proved wrong on this. Perhaps there is something I am doing wrong which prevents the configuration of "class-map type queuing" ?? When I enter "class-map type ?" I only get the option for keyword "qos".

Any ideas appreciated?

Thanks.

Does anyone have an update on this?

Many thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: