cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMPv3 user on Nexus 9K localized key

marcus.reams
Level 1
Level 1

I have been updating all of my devices to use v3 of SNMP.  Unfortunately, I having issues trying to update the password on a couple of nexus 9Ks.  Whenever I try to redo the user I get a message  saying "localized key length should be even."  I have not been able to find anything about this.  I also can't delete the user and re-add.  Anybody got an answer for this?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It seems you are specifying the password in localized key/encrypted format. This needs to have even number of characters.  Have you tried to type the password in clear text?

Regards,

Sergiu

I used a password generator and have used this password on all of my other Cisco devices.  Using the option of localizedkey or not gets me the same error.  I would really hate to have to go back to all other equipment to change the key for monitoring.

Hi @marcus.reams 

Quite odd the fact that you received error about localized key when not using it. Could you share the exact commands and outputs received (of course without specifying the password ^_^, maybe just put "a" instead of any character) ?

Regards,

Sergiu

nxs01(config)# snmp-server user svc.snmp network-operator auth sha <password> priv aes-128 <password>
localized key length should be even
nxs01(config)#

I did check the password generator and it did create a 21 characters length password.  How can I get the 9K to take this password?  Is there somewhere the length is specified?

Thanks,

Hi,

I believe you are hitting a bug. I tried the command without localizedkey option, on n7k and n9k, and I do not have any errors while using passwords with even or odd number of characters.  Which platform/version are you using?

Cheers,

Sergiu

I'm using a 9396PX with  7.0(3)I7(6) code.  I did find some issues with that and will update shortly and try again.

Thanks for the assist.  I will update once I complete the OS upgrade.

Hi Sergiu,  Marcus,

I know this is an old post but just thought it worth mentioning that this issue with "localized key length should be even" is still present on release 10.2.2.

Sergiu's work around of not specifying localizedV2key at the end of the command works.

many thanks

Roo

9336-SW2(config)# snmp-server user NET_SNMPV3 network-operator auth sha j***x priv aes-128 j***x localizedV2key
localized key length should be even

9336-SW2(config)# snmp-server user NET_SNMPV3 network-operator auth sha j***x priv aes-128 j***x

9336-SW2(config)#

sureshchand4646
Level 1
Level 1

Please configure username and password for snmp (same as we create local user to access the device)