Views
Helpful
Replies

spine and leaf - Redundant Leaf-VPC

Shi-packet-life
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

what is the best practice to achieve redundancy for leaf switches(NX93k) with VPc in production environment.

Its an vxlan anycast fabric. Can i achieve this without vpc peer link ? 

below configuration  can avoid using peer link ? 

4 Replies 4

Souvik Ghosh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

MCT less vpc is planned for future ( no date yet)  and currently not supported. VPC with MCT based vxlan is widely deployed in the field and is a proven technology, best practices for vpc based vxlan is located here -https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/vxlan/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_VXLAN_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_VXLAN_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010.html#concept_C769B787...

yes it is mandatory to use a secondary loopback ip as the nve source interface.

thanks

souvik

Hi Souvik,

Thanks for the reply, provided URL explains on VXLAn and VPC, and pretty much clear that for VXLAN VPC deployment, peer link is required  in nexus - spine and leaf vxlan deployment.

There are few document says in ACI this is possible without peer link  however this is not my concern, so for nexus leaf switches  I have to have peer link .

Thanks

wong.jason
Level 1
Level 1

You need to figure out what is your objective. Is it to achieve redundancy for your servers or is it to

achieve redundancy using vPC ? 

If it's using vPC, then the current status is that you MUST to have a "Peer-link" connected between leaf switches. I do not want to comment on Road-map or whats coming up since disclaimers always apply when you are looking into the future based on technology road-map. 

On the other hand, if your objective is to achieve redundancy for your servers or end-points without having direct connections between leaf switches, you could look into EVPN ESI multihoming instead of vPC. 
I'm not going spoon feed the link here, it's easy enough to find once you know what you are looking for. 

Hi,

Somewhat stealing the thread here...
What would you say are the pros and cons with each method?

How long has vxlan evpn multhoming been around?

I feel that I might stick to my comfort zone and keep using vPC but from the looks of it multihoming seems really nice.