cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trivia Tuesday: Are You Buying Into The Analog Future?

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Speaking of analog, when was this Lovely Rita Meter Made?* meter.jpgI don't know. Many meters went digital a long time ago. But you can still find products with analog meters these days. I have a few, myself, for measuring watts output, reflected power, and SWR for my ham radios. There are fancy digital meters available, but ironically the most expensive radio watt meters are still analog, made by a company called Bird. Bird meters are so popular among radio technical professionals you'll hear them say things like, "that's about 100 bird" instead of "that's about 100 watts". Your average ham radio guy, like me, still says "watts" because we can't afford Bird meters. 

Speaking of digital, the first commercial digital watch was made by Hamilton and sold in 1972 for over $2,000. It used LEDs and you had to push a button to light up the time. I first saw one in a James Bond movie (Roger Moore, but I forget which one), and immediately thought it was the coolest thing. The first LCD digital watches sold for $100 or more. A year later you could buy one for $10 or less. I recall when digital watches were so ubiquitous some people said their grandchildren wouldn't understand what "clockwise" meant. That's silly. We still say "roll down the window" when we push a button in the car. Concepts like "clockwise" don't disappear easily.

I rarely see a digital watch anymore, do you? Analog watches came back in style quickly after the brief popularity of digital watches faded. 

All this to say that analog is making a comeback. There are recent predictions that analog computing devices will be in millions of devices by 2030. Maybe. I don't know. But here's the reasoning: "Alexa, turn on the bedroom light" causes your Amazon echo to do an analog-to-digital (A/D) conversion before it can understand what you said. And when Alexa replies, your Echo does a digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion to make Alexa speak. Digital computing devices rely heavily on A/D and D/A, and each process uses energy. An analog CPU wouldn't need A/D or D/A conversion, saving energy. Supposedly your ROKU remote batteries would last years longer, assuming you use frequently the "speak what you want to watch" feature. 

Somehow, I don't think those power-saving benefits will drive the analog computing industry. Those are personal devices. We plug Alexa into the wall wart and are used to buying remote batteries. On a grand scale, though, eliminating A/D and D/A in computing might save megawatts of energy, depending on what that computing is doing. So they say. And the speculation is that analog-based AI computing will be far more efficient, since it won't waste as much time moving bits back and forth between CPU and memory. We think in analog, so why not design AI to do so, too?

Personally, I think we're stuck with digital for the foreseeable future. If anything, I think any analog computing in products we buy in our lifetime will be a hybrid of analog and digital. But that's just me. What do you think? 

*You'll have to be old or familiar with the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album to get that.

3 Replies 3

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am old enough and listened to many Beatles songs back in the day but still didn't understand those (English) analogies.  According to Wikipedia, the first moving-pointer current-detecting device was the galvanometer in 1820. Not until 100 years later, the invention of the first multimeter is attributed to British Post Office engineer, Donald Macadie, who became dissatisfied with the need to carry many separate instruments required for maintenance of  telecommunication circuits in 1920.Macadie invented an instrument which could measure amperes (amps), volts and ohms, so the multifunctional meter was then named Avometer.[4] The meter comprised a moving coil meter, voltage and precision resistors, and switches and sockets to select the range.

Analog-based AI computing? What's that? ;0)

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's a pun (maid = made). Lovely Rita Meter Maid is a Beatles song on the Sgt. Peppers album. Actually, the song is entitled just "Lovely Rita". A meter maid was a beat cop who wrote tickets for cars with the parking meters expired. From what I've read, the UK had never heard of a meter maid until that song. I guess Paul got the idea from the USA. 

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@npetrele 

Has this been resolved? Do you still need help?

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/