cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trivia Tuesday: What in Your House/Office Would Survive an EMP Attack?

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The trivia question is, 'Who was the woman who said, "This is a gala day for you" and to whom was she speaking? And what was the name of the movie?" Answers at the end of this post.

Okay, it's a stretch not even Stretch Armstrong would attempt, but when I thought of the word "faraday" I thought of those lines in a movie about a gala day. In case you've been living in a metal enclosure, a faraday cage is, well, a metal enclosure, roughly speaking. The idea is to prevent electromagnetic radiation from getting out or getting in. In the following, I'm talking about keeping electromagnetic radiation from getting in. 

These days with the world stability being somewhat uncertain, some people (I being one) think about these things. If some enemy blew up a nuclear bomb somewhere over the center of the USA, it would create a huge electromagnetic pulse (EMP). Chance are, it would disable all our electrical power, network topology, and just about anything with modern electronics. 

My question for you is this: If we experienced such an EMP today, what in your home would survive it? And would it be useful to you in such a post-apocalyptic world?

As for me, unless I shield my entire home office, almost everything is going to get fried. Computers, routers, radios... well, maybe not on that last one. Not counting a cell phone, there are four types of small radios you could keep in a metal box to survive an EMP and use to communicate afterward. Ham radio, CB radio, GMRS radio, and FRS radio. You don't need a license to own or use FRS or CB radio. You can pay the FCC for a GMRS radio license. No test is involved, and your whole family can use it. (Well, technically, even the FCC says you can use ANY radio in the event of an extreme emergency even if you aren't licensed.) And, of course, if you pass a few tests, you can get different levels of a ham radio license. 

The reason I'm not counting the cell phone is because it's useless to me sitting in a metal box. I'd need enough warning to put it there during the EMP, which is unlikely. But I could create a metal box big enough for my handheld ham radio and GMRS radio transceivers and even run a few wires in there to keep them charged.

Are you taking any precautions with faraday cages? Do you have any idea what would survive in your home during an EMP? 

And now for the answer to the trivia question:

Spoiler

Movie: Duck Soup

Mrs. Teasdale (Margaret Dumont): This is a gala day for you.

Firefly (Groucho Marx): Well, a gal a day is enough for me...I don't think I could handle any more.

3 Replies 3

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apart from Charles Chaplin films and a few well-known titles from the 1950s, my familiarity with classic movies is rather limited. It seems you might have a broader scope of experience in that department, Nick.

Personally, I don't find myself overly concerned about a post-apocalyptic world. If the United States were to undergo a traumatic event like an EMP, our current civilization would likely cease to exist, rendering the pursuit of life seemingly futile.

I confess I'm a die-hard Marx Brothers fan. Love ALL their films but Duck Soup is my favorite. If you were local, I'd lend you my DVD. 

I don't really worry about a post-apocalyptic world - just a thought experiment. And since communication would be essential after an EMP, I might actually buy a metal box and put my handheld transceivers in it. That way my misery will have a lot of company as the world crumbles. Hey, that might make a good title for an apocalyptic Soap Opera: "As The World Crumbles". 

GingerWolf
Level 1
Level 1

I honestly thought lol it was from Lost the series from abc from back in the day.