Views
Helpful
Replies

Trivia Tuesday: ZIG

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ziglang.png

Are you familiar with Zig? I'm not referring to zigzagging or moving in a zigzag pattern. I'm talking about the innovative Zig programming language. Zig is a relatively new systems programming language that aims to combine the power and performance of low-level programming with modern language features and safety mechanisms.

Zig stands as a general-purpose, statically typed, and compiled system programming language created by Andrew Kelley. Its purpose is to serve as a substitute for the C programming language. Its objectives include offering a smaller, simpler programming experience along with modern features, fresh optimizations, and a range of safety mechanisms. Although it doesn't enforce the same level of runtime safety as some other languages, such as Go, Rust, and Carbon, it distinguishes itself by its focus on the C++ space.

While still in the development stage, Zig has already found utility in a diverse array of projects, encompassing operating systems, compilers, and games. It holds the promise of becoming a transformative language, potentially superseding C as the preferred choice for systems programming.

Here are some of the things that Zig can be used for:

• Systems programming: Zig is a good choice for systems programming because it is efficient, safe, and expressive. It can be used to write operating systems, compilers, and other low-level software.
  • Embedded systems: Zig is also a good choice for embedded systems because it is small and efficient. It can be used to write code for microcontrollers and other embedded devices.
  • WebAssembly: Zig can be used to target WebAssembly, which is a new language and runtime that is designed to run on the web. This makes it possible to write high-performance web applications in Zig.
  • Games: Zig can be used to write games because it is efficient and expressive. It can be used to create both 2D and 3D games.

For more information about Zig, please visit the official Zig website

1 Reply 1

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

Good to know!

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/