Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6901 phones fails to take ip address

Hi,

I am trying to setup 6901 phone with call manager 8.6.

The problem is that these phones do not take ip address at all and going thru the data sheet i found that these phones do not support vlans.

In our setup we are using 2960 switches and there are multiple vlans and also voice and data vlans are seperate therefore i removed the data vlan from the swithc port and just kept the voice vlan and still it does not take any ip address.

When i am bringing the switch port to data vlan it take the ip of data vlan but i want it to obtain the ip address of voice vlan.

If anyone faced this problem before please share.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Malik,

I think you may be seeing this bug;

CSCth34329 - 69xx accepts untagged DHCP Offer after sending Discover on Voice Vlan

Description

Symptom:
69XX phone is getting an IP address on a VLAN other than the Voice VLAN.
Conditions:
This  will occur if there are two different DHCP servers for the data and  voice VLANs, and the data VLAN DHCP Server is not VLAN Aware.
Workaround:
Remove the voice VLAN configuration on the switchport facing the data VLAN DHCP Server.
Further Information:
Same issue existed on other phone models. See CSCsa85042 as an example.

Details

First Found in:                          (1)

9.0(2)

Fixed

Last Modified:

Aug 15,2012

Fixed in:

Release Pending

Product:

Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 Series

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

3 - moderate

Cheers!

Rob

"Every fool's got a reason to feelin' sorry for himself" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Update phone fimrware.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Malik,

I think you may be seeing this bug;

CSCth34329 - 69xx accepts untagged DHCP Offer after sending Discover on Voice Vlan

Description

Symptom:
69XX phone is getting an IP address on a VLAN other than the Voice VLAN.
Conditions:
This  will occur if there are two different DHCP servers for the data and  voice VLANs, and the data VLAN DHCP Server is not VLAN Aware.
Workaround:
Remove the voice VLAN configuration on the switchport facing the data VLAN DHCP Server.
Further Information:
Same issue existed on other phone models. See CSCsa85042 as an example.

Details

First Found in:                          (1)

9.0(2)

Fixed

Last Modified:

Aug 15,2012

Fixed in:

Release Pending

Product:

Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 Series

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

3 - moderate

Cheers!

Rob

"Every fool's got a reason to feelin' sorry for himself" - Springsteen

Hi,

I am not sure where you read that 6901 doestn support vlan but believe it is totaly wrong. These phones support vlans as all phones

Can you post you switch config?

Please check that your voice vlan is created on all switches between the switch that the phone is connected and the switch that the dhcp server is connected. Also check your trunk ports. I believe that there is someting wrong on your switch config and not on the phones

Hope it helps.

Well i solved the problem taking a hint from the rob.huffman's post though theres some workaround written but its not clear.

We had vlan 10 as data and vlan 50 as voice.

Therefore i change the switch configuration to following:

interface Fastethernet 0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 50

and whoao it took the dhcp and registered with CUCM and  i was like pulling my hair for this really simple configuration.

@smartns04: Well i do not say anything without proof and when i am saying i read in the cisco document one should respect whats being said.

FYI: copied from cisco doc- Note Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 does not support VLANs.

can be found on the following link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6901_6911/8_0/english/admin/guide/6911ins.html

Thanks for the support rob and paolo.

Glad you solved the problem,

Dont get offende i was just trying to help. I have a setup with around 500 6901 that work perfectly on the voice vlan. it is a hotel and we used them as bathroom phones . i have a detailed look on the posts you send me but my works fine.

Cheers

@smartns04: Well i do not say anything without proof and when i am saying i read in the cisco document one should respect whats being said.

FYI: copied from cisco doc- Note Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 does not support VLANs.

can be found on the following link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6901_6911/8_0/english/admin/guide/6911ins.html

They use poor choice wording. What the writer meant, is that VLAN are not supported for devices connected to the PC port, that is, thart cannot carry tagged frames. Of course the phone (when running fixed firmware), supports data VLAN, and a single, tagged voice VLAN.

@smartns04: sorry bro,its my bad i acted really rude.

@Paolo: i could not get " device connected to pc port" as 6901 phones do not have a switch like legacy phones to connect to PC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: