Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940/60 Phones and Built-in Bridge

My customer is running CUCM 8.5

There seems to be a difference of oppinion in the Cisco documentation as to whether the 7940 or 7960 phones support the buiilt-in bridging capability.

I find that this capability is referenced in some of the 4.0 docs as being there but you can not do it with secure streams.  But then in some of the 7.0 and later when discussing the silent monitoring and call recording, it indicates that the 7941G and 7961G and higher are supportted.

Where does the truth lay?

Is it there but in a previous software load but was removed for later features?

Hoping for some clarity on this.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Richard,

To my knowledge, the built-in-bridge only exists in the Java based phones.  The older all non-java handsets (7940/60) do not have have this feature. 

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

Steven,

Thanks for the reply.

This is from the CallManager Features guide for 4.0.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/4_0_1/ccmfeat/fsbarge.html#wp1027334

The following phones support the built-in conference bridge capability:

Cisco IP Phones (Models 7940, 7960, 7970)

Now you see my confussion.

Built-in conference bridge is different than built-in-bridge.  I think the 4.0.1 document refers to the call manager's built in conference bridge (software), not the phone's bridge that is on 7941/61 and later.

Richard,

So you are correct, the older models do have a built-in conference bridge (I forgot they did have one for conferencing).  However, the 7940/60 models are end of software support.  Thus the answer is any new features that use the BiB aren't going to include the older models.   Thus, you need to have a Java based phone as they are still supported from a software perspective.

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!