Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7942 IP Phone won't factory reset - maybe keypad not working

HI, i have a 7942 phone that appears to not accept my reset commands.  I'm holding down # when it boots, then the line lights flash i release and do the 123456789*0#.  The screen will go to the Cisco logo even as i'm typing in the sequence, then go the Upgrading screen with firmware that i'm pretty sure is on my call manager/TFTP.  It never completes then boots the phone.  In the Settings menu I'm unable to unlock the phone using the **# sequence.  This was a phone setup with Phone proxy, now that it's back on my network i need to factory reset as it's got public IP CM info and an Alternate TFTP.  I can't unlock that setting.  Anyone ever heard of this before?  I tried taking it apart and the piece behind the buttons seems to be intact.  If it's fixable anyone have a good source for repairs?  I believe it's out of warranty.  No smartnet.

Thanks.

robyn

5 Replies 5

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Robyn,

Try this :-

1. Power off the phone (if using inline power, just remove the ethernet).
  2. Hold the # key down.
  3. Power on the phone while still holding down the # key.
  4. When the line buttons scroll down orange, you can take your finger off the hash button
  5. Press the following buttons: 3491672850*#
  6. The line buttons should continue to scroll, but now they should be red
  7. After about 60sec, this will change to green, and the phone should the boot up correctly

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks i have tried that, but it's like it doesn't accept that i'm pressing the # sign.  Because the line buttons flash once then it goes straight to the Cisco screen.  Then an upgrading screen and it boots up with the same configuration. Unlocking any settings after it boots doesn't work with **#.

baig.arshad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Try this:

Go to settings menu, press **# -this should unlock the menu--go to ipv4-alternate tftp-disable it or type in the right tftp.save

and then try the factory reset procedure again.

Thanks

Also tried that, the **# isn't being accepted to unlock any settings. 

StanR
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue. It's like the phone recognized the # key...the line buttons will alternately flash as long as I hold it down, but as soon as I release it (or even try to enter the number sequence while holding it down ) I get the cisco splash screen and it tries to boot...no upgrading at all. HELP!@!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: