cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851NR all buttons except handset receivers are unresponsive

elowney
Level 1
Level 1

Like the title says, we bought twenty 8851 phones about 2 years ago, and in the last 12 months, 4 of them have "died" - the phone will reboot mid-call, and when it comes back, none of the physical buttons work except for the receiver button (picking up the handset works).

These phones can receive a call, in that picking up the handset works, and they can hang up a call, but you can't push any other button.  Not the circular navigation buttons, none of the number pad buttons, none of the programmable quick-dial/favorite buttons, nothing.

I've tried a factory reset, but the methods I've seen don't seem to work - After holding the # and plugging in the PoE, the green lights on the headset/speaker just flash once.  None of the number combinations (123456789*0# or 369#) seem to cause it to factory reset.

I can log in to the phone web interface, and I've spent an hour looking at the log messages, but nothing sticks out to me.  There is a 2.5-hour gap in logs: 2 hours before it rebooted and broke, to coming back online 30 minutes later.  So anything that logged before/during the reset are gone.

I've also bought a power brick and tried that instead of using PoE, but that doesn't make a difference.  We're using a generic Linksys PoE switch.  The phone registers with the call manager, the red VM light will light up if there's a VM waiting.  Everything looks normal, until you try to use the device.

I took broken phone #2 apart to see if there was some stuck button/contact that would cause it to not respond to any other button presses.  I booted the phone w/o a shell and none of the graphite pads/rubber contacts on the motherboard, and still the blue ring buttons don't respond.  in this state, touching the receiver button still puts it into dialing mode, but nothing can be done after that except to hang it back up.

I saw an older post with seemingly the same symptoms, but no resolution.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/ip-phone-8941-buttons-stop-working/m-p/2311883#M244906

6 Replies 6

mwiater
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few hundred 8851's with 3pcc 12.0.1firmware installed and have experienced similar. Happens on 12.0.4 as well.  Factory reset from the menu or from the webgui have always worked for me. Other unexpected and undesirable behaviors have been resolved via factor reset as well. I don't think I've lost any.

How can I factory reset from the web GUI?  I just see log information.  The IP address redirects to /CGI/Java/Serviceability?adapter=whatever.

/admin/factory-reset, as indicated by the support article below, doesn't seem to work.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/collaboration-endpoints/cisco-ip-phone-7800-series/smb5661-how-to-do-a-remote-factory-reset-on-the-cisco-ip-phone-7800.html

If you have 3PCC firmware, it's on Info, Debug Info after logging in as admin and advanced. I'm not sure on non-3PCC firmware

mwiater_0-1723227615716.png

Thanks for the reply.  My screen looks completely different (static menu on the left, no tabs).  It looks like this (not my screenshot, found via google image search).  I wonder if the CUCM can do remote factory resets?

8841-UI.png

eyalraba
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try upgrading to the latest firmware, if the issue persists, collect phone's PRT, and open a TAC case.

It would be a luxury for us to have Cisco support for all of our deployed phones, if I could work with TAC without every phone needing support I'd gladly help improve the 3PCC firmware with y'all