Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding users to a CUCM 7.1(5b) CUWL Cluster

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have a customer with a CUCM 7.1(5b) cluster that is licensed via CUWL. They also run Unity Connection of the same version.

They want to add users to the cluster and Unity Connection but do not want to upgrade versions yet.

CUCM 7.1 is now End of Sale but they have been told (not sure by who) that if they order a new 8.6 CUWL license they can take the user PAKs and install them on the 7.1 versions of CUCM and Unity Connection.

I do not believe this will work but cannot find anything that confirms this beyond all doubt (or proves me wrong )

Can anyone provide a link to a document that answers this?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi James,

I do not think it is  possible.

Q: Is it now possible to mix Cisco User Connect Licensing (UCL) and Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing (CUWL)?

A: Yes, UCL and CUWL can be mixed for all editions of CUWL (Entry, Business Edition, Standard and Professional). However, this is only available for releases that utilize UCL, such as the Unified Communications 8.0 release. Previous releases with traditional Device License Unit (DLU) models are not eligible.

But you can put this query to licensing team along with Cisco AM  , if they provide you any temporary licenses till the time you do not upgrade and install CUWL license.

regds,

aman

This should work and I've had a customer do similar earlier this year to add licenses to a legacy CUCM 7.x cluster before upgrading to 9.x over the summer.  Pre 9.x versions were sold as CUWL or UCL but still use DLU on the backend, which is why you see license units in the licensing report.  When you activate the PAKs, it will give you X number of DLU per CUWL Standard or Pro ordered and you will install those units on the legacy CUCM cluster and the counts will go up accordingly in the license unit report.

D. Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks both for responding.

Aman, they will be trying to add CUWL 8.6 licenses to a system that was licensed using CUWL 7.1 so UCL does not come in to play.

Hailey,

That is interesting - to confirm you have managed to install a PAK for DLU's bought as a CUWL 8.x product on a CUCM 7.1 system?

Looking at the structure of the license files I can see why this would work.

Unity Connection seems to be a different story though as the major version number seems to be included in the license file. Did your customer try adding the Unity Connection licenses or just CUCM?

Thanks

My customer worked with their Cisco AM to purchase a number of additional licenses in early May/June of this year, which were added to an existing CUCM 7.1(5) cluster.  They did not have Unity Connection as they were using a 3rd-party VM so I can't speak to that from personal experience.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!