Views
Helpful
Replies

alerting name

mohammedobaid
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

In a Hotel, we have ip phones and a third party tool, in each room we have one ip phone

As a guest makes a checkin into the room the ip phone status changes from vacant room to guest name and its working

now the problem here is as there is a checkin the alerting name is changing from vacant to guest name 

but the display name remains the same for that line due to which whenever a guest is calling other ext its displaying the guest name but when some one calls the same guest ext its showing vacant room

I would like to know is there any possibility from cucm that if the alerting name gets change it should also change display name

or alerting name can work for both incoming and outgoing calls 

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alerting and Display name are different fields in the database, so whatever the tool you are referencing is doing you need to see how to enhance it to also change the display name. I am assuming the tool updates the database via SOAP AXL, so you should reference this tool's documentation or reach out to it's developer for instructions.  There is nothing built into CUCM that would propagate alerting name to display name automatically.

I spoke with the company of third party but they are saying 

we can set parameter for one  that is for alerting name and even they told you check with cisco support as there is a configuration so that you can make alerting name as default for incoming and outgoing name

I need alerting name to be the default when i call from my extension or some one call on my extension the name should be displayed which is mentioned in alerting name

is there any settings in service or enterprise parameter of cucm for this

No, alerting name and display are 2 separate items serving 2 different purposes as you are seeing. Alerting name is only used to provide the name to the calling party while a remote phone is ringing, the second the call is answered CUCM uses the Display name as the display name.  Display name also has another purpose which shows the name when you are calling from the DN to remote DN. Consider this example:

PhoneA - alerting name: John Doe, display name: Steve Smith

Phone A calls phone B: Phone B sees call from Steve Smith

Phone B calls phone A: while phone A is ringing phone B sees John Doe, the minute the call is answered the name changes to Steve Smith.

I would put pressure on the provider of the 3rd party to provide solution, otherwise you will need to change these fields manually in CUCM.

Thanks for your instant response

I Highly appreciate, even I knew that alerting name and display name are different I told them that as per my knowledge we can't do anything from cucm side 

Nevertheless, no issues

No problem. Let us know if you need anything further on this topic, otherwise please mark as answered.

Chris