cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

All inbound calls have to use 10 digit dialing.

ncbeachbum
Level 1
Level 1

We recently moved to a new CUCM system, swapping our PRI over. 

One big issue we're having is that whenever folks call us the calls will drop unless they dial the full 10 digit number of our facility. If they use 7 digit dialing, which worked for years, calls get a couple of beeps then the calls drop. If they use the full 10 digits, the calls will go through but any future calls in from that same number will take the 7 digits. The vendor doesn't see anything wrong but I'm questioning in.

Ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm about to ope a TAC case.

4 Replies 4

If you are an area that ended 7-digit dialing (which ended in the US a couple of years ago), it is possible that it is the provider is denying the first attempt at the 7-digit-dialed call (and providing the beeps and the disconnect), but later calls from the same number to the same facility number are 'fixed' by the provider.

Have you identified whether the 7-digit dialed number reaches your gateway and/or CUCM? If you don't see the 7-digit-dialed call coming over the PRI, then the issue is fully in the provider's corner.

Maren

We're not mandated to dial 10 digits yet. 
When you say provider, is that our provider or the caller's provider?
With the 2nd call going through most of the time it seems like that once they have a complete it builds out a functioning translation.

Sorry, I was assuming a US location where (I thought) all PSTN calls had to be 10-digits as of a while ago, but it seems that on a per-carrier basis they may allow it while the full transition is completed.

When I say 'provider' it may be yours or theirs. If you don't see 7-digits coming into your PRI then it is one of the two and out of your control. And if that is the case, yes, the provider in question would be building out a dynamic translation. How long it maintains that translation would similarly be up to the provider.

Maren

Hi @ncbeachbum 

Could you please trace the calls on your gateway/CUBE for both instances and check what the service provider is delivering to your CUBE/gateway? Also, ensure that you have a matching dial peer for the delivered number.

If you don't see any traces of the failed calls, I recommend contacting the service provider for further investigation. However, if you do see traces of your test calls, please verify the number patterns.

It would be helpful if you could share the debug logs from the gateway/CUBE for a test call.

Regards,

Shalid