cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 186 & Fax

valides007
Level 1
Level 1

I've used previously ATA 186 units with call manager express and they worked fine for telephone purpose.

Now i'm in process of installing a new telephone system and i'm planning of using a lot of ata 186 for telephone, fax and fire alarms.

i've seen previous conversations about issues of making ata 186 work with the fax and this is kind of pulling me back from using this device. Did anybody use this device for a fax machine before, and what is the problem if there is?

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would not recommend using an ATA186 in a new deployment. You should use a VG2XX product.

I have discussed this in this thread, including a link to how to properly configure the individual ATA for fax:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=General&topicID=.ee6c82b&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd41aa1

Well i've used VG224 before and here is why i'm trying not use it here:

Physically we have 1 to 2 analog phones per station, so it would be very costly to install VG224 at every station for just 2 phones.

Second VG224 has a line voltage problem. Per specification it provides -44V, but the actual line voltage you get is below -39V. Per customer specification i need to have minimum -48V

Cisco has released VG202 and VG204 for two and four FXS ports respectively. These are intended to replace the ATA product.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps2250/ps5516/product_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

As for your voltage problems with the VG224: There have been multiple bugs related to this. Both that I can find at the moment of have been resolved.

CSCse92359

CSCsr61255

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: