Views
Helpful
Replies

Authentication Options for Cisco IP Phone

vivia11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for possible ways a 8861 Cisco IP Phone can identify itself to a web server (where I'm running my script to push a Cisco XML object to the phone) and for ways the web server can authenticate itself to the Cisco IP Phone.

1. Is it possible to install a certificate on the phone and have the phone present it to my web server? I understand that the reverse is not possible.

2. Other than a hard coded user:pwd combination in the URL or script, what other options are possible to authenticate the client to the phone? I'd rather not have an end user type in their username/password every time they want to run the script...

Any suggestions/possibilities are welcome!

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vivia11
Level 1
Level 1

As an update,

It's possible to send the Device Name of the phone in the URL and this is one possible method of authentication. Other methods require a bit of creativity, but this is an option for anyone looking.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

vivia11
Level 1
Level 1

As an update,

It's possible to send the Device Name of the phone in the URL and this is one possible method of authentication. Other methods require a bit of creativity, but this is an option for anyone looking.

HI,

I have the same issue, I am unable to communicate with Cisco 8861 phone by sending CiscoIPPhoneExecute command through HTTP Post from Postman rest client. It returns 404 error. Let me know how to send device name in the URL, can you share an example. On a sidenote, my phone is connected to Broadsoft

You can't send the device name through postman to the device. But your
device can send its device name through an IP Phone Service.

In CUCM,
Under Device->Device Settings->Phone Services->Select the service you wish
to configure.

Then for the service URL, put something like this:

http://yourdomain.ca/yourscript.php?devicename=#DEVICENAME#

Cisco will replace #DEVICENAME# with your device's name. Hopefully this
helps.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: