Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6M-M4 - end of life - options

sprintership
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We do have BE6M-M4 that lost Cisco support. Its basically dedicated VMWARE server. I wodner if I can migrate 2xCCUM PUB+Subscriver & 2XUnity PUB+Sunscriber to other production VMWARE infrastructure that uses VMWARE6. I think I should be able to achieve that unless there is specific cisco license blocking any copying or migration these virtual machines. Another option is cloud option, but I think that would be pricey. 

Thank you 

12 Replies 12

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes as long as you follow the specs-based infrastructure rules. See http://cisco.com/go/virtualized-collaboration generally and https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/cisco-collaboration-infrastructure.html especially.

Webex Calling UCaaS isn’t that much more expensive though (at least it shouldn’t be) - and you can reuse current generation Cisco phones. If you have a ton of legacy phones or a CUCM-specific integration (eg AXL, CTI) Cisco will even host the on-prem calling stack for you as Webex Calling Dedicated Instance. Same exact software. Nearly all new customer sales are the regular Webex Calling multi-tenant UCaaS offer though; that’s a comparable offer to who Cisco competes with these days. Also where most of the new features are going.

I think my best option is to install both from scratch using bootable ISO's for PUB and subscriber  of CCM & CUC.

I can handle that part. But klets say I would like to setup backup virtual servers with different network than my original servers and then restore them - is that will cause only conflicts? 

Asking since I have to have good NTPs, DNS, etc.... I dont want to screw existing servers or configuration. 

That seems like more work than necessary. I typically either export/import the VM, if standalone ESXi hosts, or vMotion (while the VM is powered off) if you have vCenter.

You can only perform a DRS restore to a VM with identical platform details: hostname, IPv4, DNS, NTP, etc. DRS validates this before beginning the restore job. If you need to change DNS or IPv4 as part of the migration you should look at the Prime Collaboration Deployment migration job workflow. Also be sure you understand how ITL works before considering a migration approach or you could break trust between CUCM and IP Phones.

In Addition to Jonathan's reply Prime Collaboration Deployment is an option if your are migrating to a different versions. PCD doesn't support migrating to same version.

CUC data export is an option if your target version supports and the source cluster must be on 11.5 above.

Response Signature

PCD does not need a license? 

No its a free software designed for migrations, upgrade, switch versions, backup etc...

Response Signature

sprintership
Level 1
Level 1

I did not use PCD, I had just one virtual machine down and while it was down I just copied all files to my storage and from storge I uploaded all files to VCENTER 6.5 then I registered vm. I started and seems all be ok. That was Cisco Unity connection 10.5 which was inactive on BE4 server. I have 12.5 Unity & Call manager. They run 5.5 hardware so I believe I should be ok with just cold copying files into mt VCENTER 6.5 I have to shut down both pubs and subscribers and just copy them into VCENTER 6.5 and have them just sitting as kind of backup is something happens to BE4 server. I did not look yet at the document but I believe if I just copy all VMs and in case if I need them turn on I believe I dont break trust between CUCM and IP Phones since all 4 virtual machines are identical copies of BE4 server. 

At first I thought the copied virtual machine did not even start, but it started fine and I could login through web console (network card down not to cause any conflicts.)

AdamG73545
Level 1
Level 1

You get it when you order the media kit for CUCM 10.x or a BE6k / BE7K - otherwise its not exactly free tool available for just download.  

sprintership
Level 1
Level 1

Since BE6M-M4 is EOL Cisco cannot provide any downloads of CPD so basically I cannot use it. My only option is to experiment by copying | moving virtual machines between VMWARE hardware. 

That is not accurate. PCD has no dependancies on a specific server generation, only the VMware license since the storage APIs are not available in the free license key. You should be able to download a bootable PCD ISO through My Cisco Entitlements if you have an active calling annuity subscription.

I am sorry. never done that before. Indeed I logged into https://software.cisco.com/download and I see under downloads for prime collaboration:  but since my license expired in June:

To Download this software, you must have a valid service contract associated to your Cisco.com profile.
If you do not have a service contract you can get one through:
  • Your Cisco Account Team if you have a direct purchase agreement with Cisco
  • Your Cisco Partner or Reseller
Once you have the service contract you must associate your service contract to your Cisco.com user ID with Profile Manager

The OVA or ISO image must be downloaded from MCE portal and this will be possible if you have an active subscription.

The images available for download from the software portal can only be used for upgrades and active subscription is required to download.

Response Signature