Views
Helpful
Replies

Block IP phone registration when switch port changed

mohdibrahim01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I facing problem with our end users they change their location across the building while this movement lot of IP Phone lost .

So i would like to know if i can block any IP phone that disconnected from network say for one day from registering again with call manager.

we have Cisco call manger

6.1.2.1000-13

best regards

Ibrahim

6 Replies 6

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's nothing built in to call manager that can do this.  If a phone is added to the database and autoregistration is turned off, it will stay until the administrator removes it.  There might be a 3rd party app that can monitor if a device hasn't registered in X number of hours and remove it from the database but I haven't seen one before.  If you wanted to use 802.1x authentication on your switches, you could block a phone from coming up should a user move it as long as they don't know the credentials to authenticate as an alternative.

Hi Joe,

Enabling Authentication on switches is difficult to implement on our network ,I was looking for some setting in the Call manager to restrict Phone registration.

Regrads,

Ibrahim

sdekooter
Level 1
Level 1

If the phones can be identified based on their IP-address you could implement Device Mobilty. Using this functionality you could force the phones into a specific Device Pool. By restricting this DP using CAC (via location) you could identify them and still restrict their calls.

What is the original problem here? Are the phones stolen during movement?

we run an Audit in our system every 3 months and we notice lot of phone status shows unregister after tracking down phones based on ip address to end user they deny where the phone location of the phone .

enabling mobility required more license units as far as i know.

So what is the best way to stop this loss of ip phones .

Device Mobility (as opposed to 'Mobility/Single Number Reach') does not require more licenses.

So if I understand correctly your users deny that they have moved the phone but CM-administration proves otherwise?

Assuming that you can identify a phone based on the voice vlan given to it you can filter on the IP using to register. Going one step further is using Device Mobility to disable calling for these phones.\

By saying 'they deny where the phone location of the phone' you indeed mean that phones get lost/stolen and you want those stolen phones to be unable to be used in another part of the building?

yes some phones lost end users don’t know where are they ..what’s make it worst they ask for new phones

every day we discover some phones around the company lockers and sections stores around the building .