cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Brother Fax / ATA Problem

marcopolo
Level 1
Level 1

We have a multifunctional brother fax which is connected on a ATA186. When I will send or receive faxes, there is only a ring at the fax, but not "faxtones". Are there some settings in this devices to change, anyone with experience with Brother faxes?

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure that the ATA has a device pool with a region configured for G.711. Faxes cannot handle the compression performed by other codecs. If the ATA has worked for faxes in the past, check the speed setting on the fax machine. Fax transmissions are only supported up to 9600 with the ATA.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

icabrera
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, we have installed fax brother in a couple of customers and we detected that the fax couldn't receive faxes because of the ring cadence, there was a ring at the fax but the fax didn't recognize it.

The solution was changing the Gateway Configuration Call Classification Settings at the ccm to "OnNet", you can see this field at "Configuring Transfer Capabilities Using Gateway Configuration" at the next url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803edb17.html

Regards

Hope this helps, if so pls rate the post

Hi, you are the best - the problem is solved.

(the post is rated - with best)

cheers

Marco Saner

Hi, it has been a pleasure to help you with this problem, it's a really strange problem and when I have seen your post I was sure that my response would help you.

Regards

I have the same problem with a Brother Intellifax 4100. I followed the recommendations and configured the OnNet setting in the gateway, however, that did not fix the problem. I switched Fax machines to a Panasonic and it works ok. Looks like you can not manually update the speed to 9600bps in the fax and customer does not want to purchase new fax machines. I know compression is not an issue as it works with the panasonic. Any in input will be appreciated

Armando

Hi, Armando

I dealed with The Brother help line to have them help me manually set the baud rate to 9600 on a FAX Brother FAX-1270E.

You can call the 1-800 number for Brother help line and ask them for the key sequence to enter maintenance mode on the fax to manually set baud rate, or try the following sequence: (NOTE I GIVE NO WARRANTY ON RESULT AND TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY IF THE FAX IS RENDERED UNUSABLE).

Unplug power cord

press and keep pressed menu key while plugging back power cord

when display shows "maintenance" release menu key.

press 1

press 0 display shows "wsw"

press 1

press 9 display shows "3150"

enter the following binary number:

011010000000 (sets to 9600 bauds)

note: the binary number

001001000000 (sets to 2400 bauds).

press stop display show "maintenance"

press 9

press 9

The fax resets, and is then usable as usual.

HTH,

Francois