Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAB-RBBN-24T1E1 Cable and Patch Panels for VXSM-24-T1-E1-BC Card

Hello Everybody,

I have this MGX 8880 installation at the customer site with VXSM-24-T1-E1-BC back card.

The documentation is pretty scarce on this and it recommends some Ortronics Patch panels that are EoL.

Can anyone explain what type of currently available patch panels can be used with this back card?

And what is the function/pinout of CAB-RBBN-24T1E1 cables?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This is baisically just a 24 pair telephone cable

1 pair for each end device

Look at this URL for pinout

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/wan/mgx/hardware/mgx8800_series/installation/guide/8850_apB.html#wp1175800

You need the 50-way plug at the card end but you could leave the cable open at the other ennd and have it terminated on a punch block or krone strip

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Alex,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I have seen the URL with the pinout that you've mentioned, but the problem is that I failed to find any patch panel (with RJ-48 receptacles) from any vendor that would match the requirements.

Do you by accident have access to any documentation pertaining to the pinouts of  CAB-RBBN-24T1E1 as it may be an answer to my problem.

Thanks again,

Nick

Hi Nick,

RJ48 is basically a posh name for RJ45 when it used for voice.

It uses the standard RJ45 plug

the only pins required are 1,2,4,5

1+2 are the RECEIVE  pair for the end equipment like a cisco router E1 port

4+5 are the TRANSMIT pair

So using the doocument that I enclude again the pin out is under the diagram

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/wan/mgx/hardware/mgx8800_series/installation/guide/8850_apB.html#wp1175800

The top cable is for all the TRANSMIT pairs and the bottom cable for the RECEIVE pairs

I will try to draw out the 1st 2 circuit

E1 Device 1 RJ48 PIN 4 ----------------TX TIP-------------- TOP CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 26

E1 Device 1 RJ48 PIN 5 ----------------TX RING----------- TOP CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 1

E1 Device 1 RJ48 PIN 1 ----------------RX TIP-------------- BOTTOM  CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 26

E1 Device 1 RJ48 PIN 5 ----------------RX RING-----------  BOTTOM CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 1

E1 Device 2 RJ48 PIN 4 ----------------TX TIP-------------- TOP CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 27

E1 Device 2 RJ48 PIN 5 ----------------TX RING----------- TOP CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 2

E1 Device 2 RJ48 PIN 1 ----------------RX TIP-------------- BOTTOM  CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 27

E1 Device 2 RJ48 PIN 5 ----------------RX RING-----------  BOTTOM CABLE 50 WAY PLUG PIN 2

and so on

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Dear Alex,

Thanks a lot for your elaborate explanation.

I would like to stress the point that the mentioned documentation is outdated as MGX doesn't ship with two separate cables for transmit and receive, but with a single Y-cable (PN: CAB-RBBN-24T1E1).

Thus transmit and receive connectors are joined in a single AMP on patch panel side.

The problem I am facing is that I cannot find the documentation for the said cable.

Thanks,

Nick