Views
Helpful
Replies

call won't hang up

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

We have a CallManager 4.3, 7942 IP phones and Cisco 2811 gateway that connects to a PRI to the PSTN.

When a remote caller hangs up the phone and my user places the handset in the cradle, the call does not hang up.  On the phone LCD screen, it shows that the call is still in progress. Only when the user presses the "End Call" soft key and the call terminates.

So, how can we terminate the call immeidately after placing the handset in the cradle or when the remote caller hangs up his phone without pressing the "End Call" soft key?

Thanks for the help!

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think that's just a hook-switch gone wrong or dirty

Or does this happen on every single phone with every single call??

If it still keeps going if the other end hangs up, that's another issue.

Start by looking at debugs to make sure you get the disconnect from telco.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

It happens to every single phone with every single call in the office.

That's correct.  The call keeps going even when the other end hangs up.

What should I look for from a debug and what debug should I run?  On the gateway or from the CallManager itself?

Thanks.

Kevin,

May be your phones are getting a bit old.

It could just be the handset switch hokks are not

fully operating

Try cleaning the switch as per this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801c0810.shtml

Got to be worth a try.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Alex,

These are new phones.  If it happens to just one user, I understand that.  But it happens to the entire office of 40 users. Then it is some other issue.

Actually I tried it at my office (a different office) and I have the same problem!  Normally I use a headset and I press "End Call" softkey to terminate the call so I never observe this issue.  However, users from that office use handset and they expect to hang up the call when they place the handset in the cradle.  Don't know what the issue is.

Kevin

Kevin,

As Java pointed out you will need to start by taking a

debug isdn q931 from your router.

When a call is cleared at the remote end you

should receive a "diisconnect" message from the Telco.

similar to this

007411: Aug 7 10:20:35: ISDN Se0/1/1:15 Q931: RX <- DISCONNECT pd = 8 callref = 0x8004

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

But anything going on on PRI doesn't explain why OP can end calls using sofkey but not handset hang-up.

Both actions should be equivalent. At least on CME they are, is CM different ?

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Wow.

If you pick up handset, listen for dialtone then place handset back on hook, does the line light go off?

Are they using headsets / electronic hook switch or anything additional?

Have you got any other models that work?

You could check ccm trace or packet capture to see if phone is actually sending the on hook message when you put the handset down.

Cheers,

Tim

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Also there is the little plastic clip that holds your handset on. Usually used for wall mount. If someone flipped these round when installing then they can get in the way. Probably unlikely for so many phones and users though.

Does dialtone start and break with headset off hook if you use your finger on the hook switch?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Noel Warnert
Level 1
Level 1

Not saying this is anyone else's issue but I had this problem when I started at a new company with phone model 7970. I am not new to this model or VoIP as i was the VoIP engineer at my previous company with CUCM and some 7970s. The solution was very simple and easily overlooked. The handset itself, barely fits in the cradle. Just setting it back on the cradle wasn't enough. It had to be pushed down extra hard for the ear piece of the handset to click onto the piece that sticks up right under the hook. the only difference i could see on the phone from my previous company is that it has the little AT&T cone attached to the phone and the cord plugged into that instead of directly into the phone. It doesn't appear to be getting in the way though. :) 

Cheers,

Noel