cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallMgr 5.1 cannot register its MGCP gateway.

muhannad
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured the MGCP gateway and the Call manager to support that gateway.

I had debugged the registration output on that gateway, there was a traffic between them..but the status for that gateway and its FXO cards in the call manager is "registration : rejected".

any help please.

thanks all.

25 Replies 25

Output for shjow diag (ouput related to EEPROM contents (hex) is not completed )

WIC Slot 0:

2nd generation - FXO Voice daughter card (4 port)

Hardware Revision : 5.0

Top Assy. Part Number : 800-21589-02

Board Revision : A0

Deviation Number : 8-7894

Fab Version : 04

PCB Serial Number : FOC11020SQZ

RMA Test History : 00

RMA Number : 0-0-0-0

RMA History : 00

Product (FRU) Number : VIC2-4FXO

Version Identifier : V01

CLEI Code : CNUIAPRAAA

EEPROM format version 4

EEPROM contents (hex):

0x00: 04 FF 40 00 4C 41 05 00 C0 46 03 20

WIC Slot 3:

2nd generation - FXO Voice daughter card (4 port)

Hardware Revision : 5.0

Top Assy. Part Number : 800-21589-02

Board Revision : A0

Deviation Number : 8-7894

Fab Version : 04

PCB Serial Number : FOC11020SPS

RMA Test History : 00

RMA Number : 0-0-0-0

RMA History : 00

Product (FRU) Number : VIC2-4FXO

Version Identifier : V01

CLEI Code : CNUIAPRAAA

EEPROM format version 4

EEPROM contents (hex):

0x00: 04 FF 40 00 4C 41 05 00 C0 46 03 20

As attached, I have only tested in port 0/0/0

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

I have come across similiar issues with MGCP and FXO modules not registering quite frequently, and therefore recommend H323 in such circumstances.

However that is subject to opinion. In the past I have had to increase the echo-cancellation-coverage on the MGCP endpoint to 24ms, after which the port registers.

Try increasing the echo-cancellation-coverage in CallManager on the endpoint to 24ms and see whether this helps.

Regards

Allan.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you ping the FQDN of the gateway from the callmanager either from

1. CLI---utils network ping (gateway name)

2. Using the CCMAdmin Page, go to navigation---callmanager OS..and ping from there..

Do you have a DNS withing your network to resolve the gateway hostname?

Please rate all useful posts

I have configured the DNS servers during the initial installation.

I tried to ping the router's hostname form the CLI, the result was Unknown host, no record for that hostname in DNS servers.

anyway, if I add a record for that hostname then I will need to unite the dns name and servers on both call managers and voice gateway.

This is where your problem is. In previous version of callmanager you can easily edit the etc/host file on the callmanager and add the gateway hostname to it.

However in CCM 5.1 you need to have a DNS server that can resolve names for CCM. So add the gateway name in the DNS server and try and ping it from the CCM again.

Configure the endpoint with an IP address instead of the hostname, this remove the dependency on DNS and give a indication as whether this is the root of your problem

When you configure your MGCP endpoint with a Hostname make sure that it matches the gateway. For example the gateway hostname is VGRTR01 and the configured ip domain-name is domain.com. Then the hostname on the endpoint should be VGRTR01.domain.com.

I have configure MGCP gateways with hostnames on 5.x and they register successfully prior to adding them into DNS. Changing to an IP address as mentioned will prove whether this is your problem.

As I have said in a previous post configure the echo-cancellation-coverage to 24ms for the FXO endpoints and see if they register then. I had exactly the same problem with them not registering and remain rejected until I changed them to 24ms from 8ms.

Regards

Allan.

Allan, thanks for throwing more light on this. However I want to ask...In CCM 4.x, its either you have a DNS or you edit the etc/host file else CCM will not be able to resolve the gateway hostname.

If DNS is not used in CCM 5.x, How does Callmanager know what IP address to resolve to?

The following information regarding configure MGCP IOS gateways was taken from the following 5.1 Admin Guid:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00808badbd.html#wp1311705

MGCP Gateway Configuration Settings

When configuring the MGCP hostname it appears only pertinanent to configure DNS if the hostname used for the MGCP hostname differs to the gateway.

Enter a name of up to 50 characters that identifies the Cisco MGCP gateway.

Use the Domain Name Service (DNS) host name if it is configured to resolve correctly; otherwise, use the host name as defined on the Cisco MGCP gateway.

If you are using the host name as it is configured on the IOS gateway, the name that you enter here must match exactly.

For example, if the hostname is configured on the gateway to resolve to vg200-1 and the IP domain name is not configured, enter the hostname in this field (in this case, vg200-1).

If the hostname is configured on the gateway as vg200-1 and the IP domain name is configured on the gateway as cisco.com, enter vg200-1.cisco.com in this field.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Great! Thanks Alan, I appreciate this. In essence CCM 5.1 does not rely on DNS services for MGCP Gateways!

Thanks

No problem, it certainly appears that way.

I had the same confusion when I first installed 5.0x, you would expect to edit the host file.

Regards

Allan.

Thanks Allan,

I appreciate your support and cooperation, I will test that and I will reply back to you.

Mo