cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can alarms be configured to monitor IP phone removed from network?

Alan Brown
Level 4
Level 4

Continuing to have conference room phones, Cisco 7942/7945 IP phones unplugged in conference rooms and when needed aren't working.  Is there a way to configure an alarm to let me know when an IP phone is removed from the network?

Alan B,

arbrown@wcsr.com

4 Replies 4

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Alan,

I'm sure the CDP and Port Status combined we can definitely configure the ports on switch, with the help of Cisco LMS or any likewise software can trigger an alarm whenever a particular port goes down unexpectedly.

BTw, what is the NMS application you have on the network?

Regards

Sam Wilson

We are using Solar Winds Orion for network monitoring and have CDP enabled on telephones by default.

I havent worked on Solar Winds so you have to forgive me.

At the same time, are you sure there is no way to generate an alarm in case if a switch port goes down?

Regards

I will make the assumption we are dealing with Cisco Catalyst switches here. If so, then most Cat switches can be configured to send

SNMP traps on port status changes. You want to be careful deploying this to all phone ports, but I have had customers target specific ports in this manner.

One could also do a basic ICMP poll of the phones if that is preferred. Depends on your environment. I am not a fan for active polling of IP phones when a trap gets you the same result.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify