cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get Viking SIP phone to register with CUCM 8.6.2

drotheahit
Level 1
Level 1

We have a new cluster that is being setup and have no SIP devices registered yet. I'm trying to get a Viking E-1600A SIP phone to register to it with no luck so far. CM recognizes the IP of the device but rejects the registration. Vikings instructions are below, but don't seem to make complete sense as far as the user setup (step 3 says they don't support an authorization ID/digest user, but step 9 says the digest user needs to be configured).

I've tried a few different SIP profile configurations, and I do have user configured that is associated with the device in CM. I've tried the username on the sip device as both domain\username and just username - I'm probably missing something basic, does anyone have any pointers on these devices?

Configuration Steps

Gather the following information about the phone:

•MAC address

•Physical location of the phone

•Cisco Unified Communications Manager user to associate with the phone

•Partition, calling search space, and location information, if used

•Line number (DN) to assign to the phone

Determine whether sufficient Device License Units are available. If not, purchase and install additional Device License Units. Third-Party SIP Devices (Basic) consume three Device License Units each.

Configure the end user. Viking VoIP Phones do not support an authorization ID (digest user), so create a user with a user ID that matches the DN of the phone. For example, create an end user named 1000 and create a DN of 1000 for the phone. Assign this user to the phone (see step 9).

Configure the SIP Profile or use the default profile. The SIP Profile gets added to the phone that is running SIP by using the Phone Configuration window.

Note: Viking VoIP Phones use only the SIP Profile Information section of the SIP Profile Configuration window.

Configure the Phone Security Profile. To use digest authentication, you must configure a new phone security profile. If you use one of the standard (non-secure) SIP profiles that are provided for auto-registration, you cannot enable digest authentication.

Add and configure the Viking VoIP Phone by choosing Third-party SIP Device (Basic) from the Add a New Phone Configuration window.

Add and configure lines (DNs) on the phone.

In the End User Configuration window, associate the Viking VoIP Phone with the user by using Device Association and choosing the Viking VoIP Phone.

In the Digest User field of the Phone Configuration window, choose the end user that you created in step 3.

Provide power, install, verify network connectivity, and configure network settings for the Viking VoIP Phone.

Username should match the user that was created in step 3.

Password should match the password created for the digest user.

Make calls with the Viking VoIP Phone.

Thanks in advance...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you Mohammed!

That information pointed me in the right direction and I was able to get the phone to register. 

Hopefully, this will help everybody else out.  The key here was that the digest username HAS to be the same as the DN.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Ronak Agarwal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Douglas,

You can follow the below link for more details:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/50491/how-register-third-party-sip-phones-communications-manager

Though it is not for viking phone, but it still gives an idea on what needs to be done in call manager.

Also, you can try adding the phone as Basic 3rd party endpoint in CUCM. If this does not work, then you can try using Advanced third party. (Generally, depends on the 3rd party).

Post for any questions.

Regards,
Ronak Agarwal

drcryogen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having this exact same problem.  Have you been able to resolve it? 

Try to get traces from CUCM using RTMT > Session Trace > Real Time. Lets see at what staging it is failing.

Mohammed, thanks for the response.  I just saw this and am looking in RTMT at the traces.  Which service should I be looking at and which trace file type?  I'm assuming I should be looking at UCM traces?

Thanks

Call Manager Service, SDL file

Thank you Mohammed!

That information pointed me in the right direction and I was able to get the phone to register. 

Hopefully, this will help everybody else out.  The key here was that the digest username HAS to be the same as the DN.

Great. Please mark the post as resolved and rate useful posts :)

Thanks - I actually found this out a week or so after posting the initial question via trial and error (username has to be the same as the DN - sorry should've gotten back sooner). No idea why and kind of a pain since we sync with LDAP and our AD user accounts are under lots of restrictions.

I subsequently had problems with the devices not staying registered in CM - they would become non-responsive and I'd have to power cycle the devices (or the PoE switch port) to get them to come back up and register. I contacted Viking and they gave me the latest version of their software (attached). Using this you can go to the "IP Settings" tab and bump up the gateway ping setting to 500 or 1000 and then select apply. This resolved that problem for me.

I know this is an old thread but it's still being used by TAC when you open a case for Viking phones so I just wanted to add a little more specific information.  If your DN uses /+1234567890 you cannot use that for a username password.  Configure your DN as just a 4 digit ext (7890) and then create a username (local not AD) of 7890 with password 7890.  Choose the same user for the digest user.  This also has to be set using the Viking software on the phone itself.

As a side note, don't bother calling Viking.  Their support was very unhelpful and claimed to 'know nothing about Cisco phone systems". 

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

geoff.frock
Level 1
Level 1

We just just installed a Viking E-20 and the content in this thread still worked great.  Local username, digest username, and password all need to match the DN you create for the SIP device.  Use that DN in the username/pw field of the Viking IP Programming app.  Did not fill out the Caller ID field.  

Make sure to create a Phone Security Profile that is enabled for Digest Authentication. 

INDEHelpdesk
Level 1
Level 1

This article is still valid. Was setting up a Viking E-1600-02-IP(64) and had issues until I found this. Vikings documentation is lacking and vague. Something to note, in our case we have Cisco switches. I attempted to set the switch port to Access LAN = 01 because we have desktops also and set the Voice VLan = 10. However, we have a DHCP scope for Desktops and a DHCP Scope for IP Cisco Phones. The IP device kept pulling a DHCP lease form the Desktop DHCP scope. I had to set the Access VLAN = 10 and Voice VLAN = 10. Also on the Viking Phone tab 3 enabled VLAN Tagging with the following settings: ID for All Packets = 10, PCP fr all packets = 7, PCP for SIP packets = 6, PCP for RTP packets = 5.  Now the phone pulls from the correct scope and has registered in CUCM and is a SIP device.