cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping Communications Media Module on Cat6500

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

This one should be easy, but I can't find the answer in the documentation.

I'm setting up a CMM blade in a Cat 6500 to act as a voice gateway. I'm having problems getting the module to communicate with the network. Here's what I've done so far:

The module is in slot 6, Gig 6/1 is configured as a switchport, and the Switchport VLAN is the Voice VLAN. I then Shut / No Shut the interface.

Then I sessioned into the Module, configured an IP address on Gig 1/0 that was in the Voice VLAN subnet. I Shut / No Shut the interface, then put in a default route that points to Gig 1/0.

From the Module, I can ping my own IP address, but nothing else. From the Cat6500 Supervisor, I can't ping the Module, but it shows up w/ the correct IP address in Show CDP Neighbor Detail.

There's got to be a simple answer, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Randy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

webberr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Randy,

We have hit this same...bug? a few times. I beleieve the issue is an incorrect ARP entry. If you do a show ip arp on the 6500 and the CMM one is incorrect - I forgot which one.

We solved the problem by rebooting the CMM. Once it came back up everything worked fine. It also does not appear the problem comes back. Quite strange.

Give it a try.

Rob.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

webberr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Randy,

We have hit this same...bug? a few times. I beleieve the issue is an incorrect ARP entry. If you do a show ip arp on the 6500 and the CMM one is incorrect - I forgot which one.

We solved the problem by rebooting the CMM. Once it came back up everything worked fine. It also does not appear the problem comes back. Quite strange.

Give it a try.

Rob.

Thanks, the reboot fixed the problem. Next time we get a maintenance window, I'll reboot the entire chassis and make sure the problem doesn't come back.

Randy