cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 3.3 upgrade to CUCM 8.6

satish rawat
Level 1
Level 1

Its very rare to find someone using CCM 3.3 in 2012 but i actually had the privilege to work for a org and the task was tough considering that there is really not a supported path available from Cisco at this time.

In the first few days i was just thinking about what is the best approach to deal it...i in fact started looking to build it manually and just relying on BAT export of phones and few other entities...after few days it got complicated as i had to almost open and view every DN and make a note of things like Call pick up group, if VM is enabled or not , caller ID name etc. This didn’t worked good for me so i started looking how to upgrade this system to at least cer 4.1.3...from there i was pretty confident that i can run DMA and then upgrade it 8.6.

Its not easy to get an upgrade media for 3.3> 4.1.3 from Cisco so after i searched all over Google and managed to find 4.1.3. That helped tremendously. Luckily i had a VM of CM ver 3.3 ( using acronis) so i could just play with it the way i wanted.

First thing i had to do was upgrade the RAM on win2000 os from 512 to 1GB..that was easy since i had a virtual image of CM 3.3. Step 2 was to apply necessary windows patch from Cisco download..Specifically i used 200-2s-7. I the ran upgrade and it went quite smoothly without any issue. This allowed me to install DMA 7.1.5 on ccm , my DMA was successful with some warnings but i decided to use the DMA and upgrade to 7.1.5 and then to 8.5>8.6.

I doubt anybody would still be using CCM 3.3 but if anyone is and need any assistance let me know and i will be glad to share my experience.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue of doing an upgrade of such a dated system is you don't take advantage of any new features that were added in 8 or so years. My approach would have definitely been to treat it as a green field install and do it from scratch, in fact I have recently done it when going from 4.1 to 8.6.  Eitehr way good job!

HTH,

Chris

You can always change part of dialplan once you are on upgraded system, the major advantages of doing the upgrade is sucessfully migrating  your database ( phones, DN, CTI RP etc ) so you dont have to touch them again. Imagine a system with thousands of phones and DNs and each one configured uniquly. Just to ask organisation to compile that DB again is a pain..

Please don't take it the wrong, I give you kudos for successful upgrade and I am sure this thread will serve someone well in the future.  But to answer your question that is what BAT and SQL queries are for, in my experience if customer has not upgraded in 8 years it usually is an indicated the database has not been maintained either, so a lot of the phones/users/etc are incorrect anyway. Of course it is not the case all the time, but I have yet to see a clean 8 year old system in my experience.  if you think about it to enable new phone features you will need to change phones anyway, if the plan is to leave them as they are what have you gained from the upgrade?

Chris

Not at All Chris...It worked great with the situation i was in so i have no complaints...!!  There is not change in phones or anything...the pushing factor is to be updated so cisco can still provide support in future...

detailed instructions on  link ..upgrding ccm 3.3 to 4.1.3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/4_1_3/upgrfrom.html#wp1048132