cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Certificate Error with 7965

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

I have a CME 10.5 environment with 7945/65/45 and 6945 phones. I am having a certificate issue with one of the 7965 phones. This phone worked fine up until a little over a week ago. It now fails to register with the following certificate error:

006391: Jul 15 12:09:21: %PKI-3-CERTIFICATE_INVALID_EXPIRED: Certificate chain validation has failed.  The certificate (SN: 770AA9CB0000001C2AE9) has expired.    Validity period ended on 13:19:05 EDT Jul 7 2018

Obviously there is a certificate associated with the phone that has expired however this certificate is not associated with CME. All CME certificates expire in 2019 or 2021. I can replace the phone with a previously unprovisioned 7945 and it registers with CME fine.

I have done a factory reset on the phone, I've removed it from the CME database, assigned it to a new ephone. etc. The phone still fails to register with CME. Firmware is SCCP45.9-4-2SR3-1S for both 7945 & 7965.

Any help greatly appreciated, this one has me stumped.

Regards,

Sam

2 Replies 2

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

clear the ctl file:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/deleting-ctl-file-from-cisco-ip-phones/td-p/1581592

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks for the reply Dennis, I have deleted the CTL file numerous time. I did however go back and delete it again prior to replying back to you.

An interesting symptom of this is when the 7965 is not provisioned to CME it doesn't give me the registration rejected like other phones that boot to the system. It gives me the registering message continuously.

Again thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Sam