cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Input Gain for Handset on Cisco IP Phone 7800 Series

ManuelL
Level 1
Level 1

I am using the Cisco IP Phone 7841 with the default handset. I am running the software version "12-0-1MPP0001".

I need to change the input gain for the handset, as it is too quiet, but could not find any configuration element to change the input gain.

Is there a possibility to change the input gain for the handset?

Thanks in advance for the support!

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I’m not aware of a setting for this. Is it too quiet for all calls or only external/PSTN? And is it all phones or one? Does the problem follow the handset to another phone or vice versa?

If the problem is limited to PSTN calls you may be able to adjust the gain at the circuit level. Be careful with echo cancellation though; it relies on a sufficient dB loss between arrival and return to work. You usually have to adjust input gain and output attenuation to maintain that delta. Let me know if this is the problem and circuit type; I’ll try to dig up the procedure.

Otherwise, if you can isolate this to a specific handset or phone it may be a simple hardware failure.

Yes, the microphone is too quiet for any call. And yes, it concerns all phones not just a single one (so it does not seem to be a hardware defect).

The audio spoken into the handset is the problem. -> Not the speaker of the handset is too quiet, but the microphone of the handset is amplifying too little.

Silence suppression is not enabled on the phones.