cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Phone Number when phone moves

ty.masse
Level 1
Level 1

We have some remote locations, that doesn't have support staff on site.

When we send them their phones , if one breaks, I want them to grab a spare plug it in and go. What's the best way of doing that? Is it auto registration and translation pattern?

Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Start by mentioning what call control agent you use and version.

Also, is this distributed model or centralized??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

This is a centralized model. Call manager 8. Will upgrade to 9 soon. Sccp with MGCP gateway.

Hope this helps.

Use auto registration and setup TAPS.

Please rate useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

As mentioned you might use TAPS if you have what's necessary for it, or simply have them tell you the MAC and phone model and you configure it so they can just plug it in.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Allow me to provide a little more details.  What I have are remotely located stores with different departments.  For the sake of this discussion, let's use bakery and groceries departments.  If the bakery  phone goes bad, sometimes the users will just grab a phone from groceries and replace the bakery phone with it and expects bakery to ring when someone calls.   Here is what  I was thinking:

1. Set a translation pattern for each dept with the dept's extension on it.

2. Set it to translate the first two digits based on the called number, which will be specific to a department.  for example I would assign 1234 (12 for bakery), 1435 (14) for groceries.  The last two digit will not change.

3. Setup auto registration to assign bakery 12xx numbers and groceries 14xx numbers.

My problem is 3.  I would call manager know the difference when someone plugs in whether it's groceries or bakery.  I was thinking of creating a different voice vlan for the two departments, and assign them to a different subnet.

My question to you guys is how do I make call manager recognize the different subnets and assign bakery phones 12 and grocery phones 14 numbers? 

We don't have TAPS and the users don't want to touch the phone except to plug it in.

Maybe this will provide more clarity.

Thanks.

You can't on CUCM, the only possible way would be that (assuming you have at least 2 servers) create each vlan (and DHCP) and configure them to point to a different CUCM server, then configure the auto-registration range as needed on each server.

When the auto-registration request comes to the CUCM server it doesn't make a difference what IP/subnet/etc the request is coming from, if there are DNs available, it wil assign one to the phone.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

that would be a nice if CM could take the source subnet in consideration in future releases.

Thanks for your answers all.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ty,

Here's what we do for the exact same deployment type

Before sending the spares to the remote sites, label them with a distinctive

name and scan the mac's into a file. So for one of our sites it may be

wcspare1 mac AAABBBCCCDDD, wcspare2 mac BBBCCCDDDAAA etc.

When one of the remote phones fails you will get a trouble report that says

Bruce Moose @ extension 6655 has a broken phone.

In CUCM search for device>phone>DN>6655 then use "supercopy" paste the mac

AAABBBCCCDDD and save. Tell the user to grab wcspare1 and you're good to go.

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley