Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 using VOIP

Satarian22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to learn VOIP functionality on a cisco 2911. I hope someone on here can help me with this.

I have a VOIP provider called VOIP.MS

I have a Fiber ONT connection going into a Palo Alto Firewall which handles all my routing and DHCP addressing.

The NAT for the internet is located on this firewall.

I've created a VLAN for this voice traffic. VLAN101 / Subnet 192.168.101.0/24

I have placed a Cisco 2911 device on the network running firmware c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M3.bin

interface Gi0/0 is getting a DHCP address of 192.168.101.2

I've setup a route using the command: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet0/0 dhcp

I'm trying to follow https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_IOS but I dont have enough understanding to know what is going wrong.

Here is my config for the relevant areas. Let me know if you need other sections.

voice service:

voice service voip
 ip address trusted list
  ipv4 162.213.157.82
 ip address trusted call-block cause not-in-cug
 gcid
 clid substitute name
 allow-connections sip to sip
 no supplementary-service sip moved-temporarily
 no supplementary-service sip refer
 fax protocol t38 version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none
 sip
  session refresh
  e911
  transport switch udp tcp
  asserted-id ppi
  localhost dns:vancouver.voip.ms
  midcall-signaling passthru
  no call service stop

sip-ua (changed the passwords to a fake number)

sip-ua
 credentials username 226468_cisco01 password 7 13240981231823 realm vancouver.voip.ms
 authentication username 226468_cisco01 password 7 13240981231823 realm vancouver.voip.ms
 registrar 1 dns:vancouver.voip.ms expires 300
 sip-server dns:vancouver.voip.ms
 host-registrar

dial-peer  (changed did to fake number)

dial-peer voice 1 voip
 huntstop
 destination-pattern 5551236541
 session protocol sipv2
 session target sip-server
 dtmf-relay cisco-rtp rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 no vad

I am unsure how this device is suppose to register with my voip provider.

I am not seeing any traffic on my firewall to indicate that this device is attempting registration.

I enabled the debug ccsip but I dont see any console messages at all.

Maybe I misunderstand how this works.

I thank you for the help in advance.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have no idea about others but if you have an "account" with a 3rd part, non-Cisco CUCM environment, I wouldn't do my configuration in the router.
Instead, get something like Asterisk-based or 3CX server and configure these to talk to the voice provider.
So when the Asterisk-based or 3CX is authenticated to the voice provider, the next step is to configure the phones to register to the Asterisk-based or 3CX server.

Hello Leo,

I understand that I can use Asterix to connect to my voip service but I thought I would learn the voice aspect of Cisco IOS.

Am I misunderstanding how the Cisco 2911 works? Should it not be able to make a connection to my VOIP provider directly?

I envision this connection flow but I could be way off.

Cisco 7945 IP Phone -> Cisco 2911 -> Palo Alto FW  Internet -> VOIP Provider

This is a test lab. I only have the one 7945 IP Phone. 

Sorry I replied using the wrong account.

That was my reply above.

Hello there,

Have you figured this out? I have the same set up but with a UDM router instead of Palo Alto. 

Thanks

LuckyAces
Level 1
Level 1
What does a ' sh dial-peer voice summary' reveal about the status of the dial-peers?

Hello,

Here is the output of that command:

HL-C2911-01#sho dial-peer voice summary
dial-peer hunt 0
             AD                                    PRE PASS SESS-SER-GRP\  OUT
TAG    TYPE  MIN  OPER PREFIX    DEST-PATTERN      FER THRU SESS-TARGET    STAT PORT    KEEPALIVE    VRF
1      voip  up   up             7806665194         0  syst sip-server                               NA
 For server-grp details please execute command:show voice classserver-group <tag_id>
 To see complete session target for ipv6 use 'sh running config | section dial-peer <tag>

Please note that I have not connected / configured the 7945 yet.

Also note that when I look at my VOIP provided the account shows as not registered.

Also I don't see any traffic leaving this router except for DNS queries.

falomassor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

Have you figured this out? I have the same set up but with a UDM router instead of Palo Alto. 

Cisco IP phone 8851 --> Cisco Switch --> cisco isr 4321 --> UDM --> SIP Provider

Thanks

Maybe you open a new question and describe in more detail, what is not working.
And I would advise you to attach the config and logs of the CUBE. Otherwise it will be "glass ball reading".

Ok. Thanks I will do that. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: