Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7800 MPP series direct IP dial

tangineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

VOIP is not my specialty so apologies for being a noob. I was dropped into a project with a closed network with multiple sites connected through P2P links. The customer wants 1 IP phone at each site. They have purchased Cisco 7800 phones with the "enterprise" firmware without knowing they require UCM. This closed network does not have a PBX and it's not possible to install one.

If we upgraded the phones to the MPP firmware is it possible to direct dial other phones on the network via IP address?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

4 Replies 4

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there, 

Short answer is no. You do need a call control to be able to make calls with the phones. 
Please contact your Cisco rep and take a look at Webex Calling. You'll be able to migrate you phones using the Cisco Control Hub and register your phones to the cloud

Thanks Geovani. Unfortunately the phones will be on a closed network with no internet access so any cloud-based solution would not work, yes?

There are government-focused offers targeting classified environments, if that’s what you mean by closed. As Geovani said, it would be worth a discussion with the customer’s Cisco account team.

The other option is CUCM or CME. The only endpoints capable of direct IP calling are those that run CE software - the Webex Desk and Room series gear.

I tried this about 2-3 years ago, so unless they have changed things in the FW, you could configure a speed dial using the IP of the other MPP phone and it would work, this obviously doesn't scale for more than a handful of devices.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate