Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8821 wireless phone configuration and set up

robertchung1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello members,

I have a new Cisco 8821 wireless phone which is not registering to my CUCM. I installed the latest device pack so the 8821 can be added and rebooted my CUCM clusters. I added the phone via Device>Phone>Add New on CUCM. On the 8821, I manually configured the SSID and WLAN profile, the username and password, but was not sure which security mode of PEAP to use (there is PEAP-GTC and PEAP-MSCHAPV2). The 8821 has been added to the ACS server. 

I also have 7925G phones which are operational and configured them in the following manner:

1. Connect the 7925G via USB to a laptop.

2. Enter the recovery mode to browse to its https://192.168.100.1 address.

3. Added the network profiles I use. Just plain PEAP is used

Profile Name = xxxx-IPT
SSID = xxxx-IPT
802.11 Mode = 802.11a
Security = PEAP
Username = CP-7925G-SEP<MACAddress>
Password = xxxxxx

4. Added an ACSRoot.cer certificate via Certificates-> Authentication Server CA -> Install, to the phone.

5. Added the phone MAC address to my ACS server to authenticate.

6 Add the phone to CUCM. Phones are registered.

If someone could clarify the following and provide a guide on how to get the 8821 registered, it will be much appreciated:

1. Is the process to add and register the 8821 phone the same as for the 7925G?

2. Can the same certificate I used for the 7925G be used for the 8821?

3. Which PEAP version should be used with the 8821?

Regards,

Robert

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Has the phone joined the wireless network? 

Hello Leo,

Thank you for your reply.

The phone registers in CUCM when I connected the docking station (with the phone in the cradle) via a USB to ethernet dongle. I am not however using one of the compatible dongles as suggested in the 8821 deployment guide. When I connect it to a laptop for web access, I cannot access the admin page of the phone (via https://192.168.1.100), so I will need to purchase one of the compatible dongles. Once I can connect and install the security certificate, the phone should then authenticate via the wireless connection. Is this correct? 

Regards,

Robert