Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8832 Phone not getting IP address from DHCP

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why my Cisco IP phone 8832 is not getting the IP address from DHCP?

Is this know issue for 8832? Other IP phones get IP from DHCP on same LAN Port issue is only with model 8832.

Currently, its running phone version is sip8832.12-1-1-23.loads.

Any input will help.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Maybe the phone is running 3PCC firmware?

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are several bugs reported, like the following:

When 8832 phones downgrade from 12-0-1SR3-1 to 12-0-1-12 phone does not boot

Symptom:
phone never gets IP and it never registered to call manager/the screen is blank.

Can you check if you can upgrade the firmware?
George
Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

matthew.ege
Level 1
Level 1

There is a workaround for this issue as it pertains to the LAN interface not being able to pass network traffic (due to an issue with the default sip8832.12-1-1-23 load).

Luckily for us, Cisco integrated a wireless NIC within the 8832 model.

To resolve this issue:

1. Connect your 8832 to a wireless network. It must be able to communicate with your UCM cluster.

a. click settings on the 8832 phone

b. admin settings

c. network setup

d. Wi-Fi client setup

e. Wireless - Set to "ON"

f. etc. (self explanatory)

2. Specify the TFTP server as your CUCM server running the TFTP service (only needed if option 150 isn't already configured on your wireless network's DHCP server that points toward your intended TFTP server).

3. Two Options to update firmware information and register:

a. If you utilize auto-registration in your phone system actively; sit back, relax, and watch your phone update to the current load version (I recommend sip8832.12-5-1SR3-74, if your phone system has it) - Load information for all available phone types is located in CUCM at Device > Device Settings > Device Defaults > Scroll down to the bottom and locate Cisco 8832.

b. Manually configure the 8832 within CUCM with all the proper settings for registration. 

CSCvq87288