Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8865 with RingCentral

ronz
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I purchased a Cisco 8865 phone from ebay and was initially told that I'm able to use it with Ring Central.  I received the phone a few days ago.   I spoke to Ring Central and have been unsuccessful in getting it setup

I called Cisco tech support and they're telling me the phone is out of warranty, thus I can't speak to anyone with any sort of technical knowledge.      I find it odd that I can't speak to anyone about a product THEY make and is currently still in production.

Regardless, since this is a business line, I've been doing my own research on what needs to be done so I can get my business phone back up.

Here's where I'm at:

* I discovered there are two types of 8655 phones.   One with enterprise firmware and one with 3PCC.  I have enterprise.   If done all over, it sounds like I should have went with 3PCC.  This was something that was never brought to my attention.  I was just told the 8655 will work.   However, it also sounds like this may not be a show stopper since the firmware can be changed through cloud migration.

* I successfully assigned the phone an ipaddress IPV4, connected via ethernet.   Pinging phone ip address works.

* I've been unable to access the phone interface through web.   The documentation says enter http://<ipaddress>/admin.  I tried that, "https://", without admin, with "admin/admin" as recommended elsewhere, but still no luck.    Ring Central was unable to connect also.   We turned off Windows firewall and the Asus router firewall, but still no luck.   Somewhere on this forum made me believe that there may not be a web interface for the enterprise version?  Is this correct?

* I successfully updated to the latest SIP firmware via TFTP, specifically "sip8845_65.14-1-1-0001-125".   Still can't access phone interface through web.

* I called Cisco licensing with questions on what I need to do to update my firmware and what the cost would be, but I feel like I'm constantly speaking to a pole and never received any answers to my questions because the phone is out of warranty.   I'm willing to purchase a license if it helps, but I can't get any clear or professional guidance on what I need to do.

*Further researching, I found I can use a config script file to setup Ring Centrals information via TFTP.   This route looks complicated, but I'm willing to try if I can't receive any info for above bullet.

Any additional trouble shooting ideas/suggestions or links that may help me get the phone working with Ring Central?   

29 Replies 29

For the "commented out" tags, I wasn't sure if you meant to delete them completely from the file or just remove the "commented out" portion and revert back to the original.   I reverted back to the original, so all tags are now active again.  I also ran this version of the file again with transportlayer protocol both as "1" and "2".   No success... still "error verifying config info"

Attached is the cleaned-up version with active tags.

I do not remember putting "spaces" in between the lines.  Kindly remove them. 

Next, every time the config file gets updated, always factory reset the phone. 

Spaces removed.   No luck.

@ronz wrote:

<startMediaPort>8000</startMediaPort> <!-- was 10000 -->
<stopMediaPort>59999</stopMediaPort> <!-- was 20000 -->

WTF?   Keep it simple.  The main objective is to get the phone to work.  Revert to the original config and then "beautify" after the phone works (and not before). 

I failed to mention...

After I tried running your file numerous times with no success, I downloaded another and compared the two. 

If the other file had different tags, port #s, etc, I put them in yours just to "try" them to see if it would make a difference.   That's why I added some notes regarding the changes (or attempted to).  I could have left some notes off and if I did, it wasn't intentional, or I deleted them when I was cleaning up the file.

Not trying to offend in any way by changing your work.  Just was being proactive in trying to find a solution.

@ronz wrote:

<line button="1">

That line could be wrong.  It should be  <line button="1" lineIndex="1">

Also, phone is running 14.X firmware.  This config file was never designed for 14.X. 
Downgrade to 11.X first.  

No luck with the lineIndex=1.

If I downgrade and it works, I'll be forced to use older firmware?    I didn't realize this approach was outdated.  

Thanks for your help, but I'd rather find a current solution.

Try it.  
I have never used 14.X before.

Update:

Tried downgrading to "sip8845_65.11-5-1-18" firmware to see if it would work.   Tried activating all tag-lines, and then deactivating ones that were not in another file I had.

Still getting the "error verifying config info".

Do you know if there's a manual that explains each command for the SEPMAC#.cnf.xml file?

@ronz wrote:

Do you know if there's a manual that explains each command for the SEPMAC#.cnf.xml file?

No, there is not.  

Start stripping the configs down to the basics, like removing line buttons 2 to 4.  

The only line button that has been active is 1. 

Without a current manual, I believe this is a lost cause.   All we are doing at this point is guessing.  It's no longer troubleshooting. 

I made two calls on Friday to see what I would need to do to get the "cloud upgrader".   Hopefully I get a call back from 1 of the 2 places tomorrow.

If not, I think the only option left is to get another phone.    

@ronz wrote:

If not, I think the only option left is to get another phone. 

This is, by far, the best option.  

Try Yealink.

Any recommendation on which Yealink?

Looks like Ring Central supports the following:

Yealink T48U

Yealink T57W

Only $20 difference between the two.

@ronz wrote:

Any recommendation on which Yealink?

It is all up to personal preference.  T5x are Android-based.  

I have a heard a lot of voice service providers prefer Yealink because they are painless to integrate (individually or by bulk).  Make sure to get ones with warranty in them.  

Before setting a choice, make sure to run this past RC support.  

Thanks for all your help, Leo.   I suspect I won't get any information from Cisco on the "cloud upgrader" so I'm just gonna go this route.  Appreciate all the responses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: