Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CP-7821 without a Cisco PBX

mkuemmel021
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

can I use the Cisco 7821 without any Cisco Hardware or Software? I have only the SIP-Account from my provider.

regards,

kuemmel

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kuemmel,

This phone supports SIP

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7800-series/data-sheet-c78-729488.html

So ideally it should work with any third party PBX supporting SIP like any other endpoints.

Manish

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

can I use the Cisco 7821 without any Cisco Hardware or Software?

There is a strong movement of people using Cisco phones but using 3rd party call managers.  I am using Asterisk and I've got 7940/7960 & 7970 phones at home and they are working fine.   Asterisk, natively, supports SIP but can also support SCCP.  

I have only the SIP-Account from my provider.

Depends on some voice provider the phone can register directly with them or Cisco or 3rd party call manager can be configured to register with the voice provider (and the phone registers with the Cisco or 3rd party call manager).  

Search in this forum for "Asterisk" and there should be some threads available. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kuemmel,

This phone supports SIP

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7800-series/data-sheet-c78-729488.html

So ideally it should work with any third party PBX supporting SIP like any other endpoints.

Manish

Okay, I'll check it. Thanks for help!

If you need help with setting up Cisco phones with Asterisk, just create a new thread and some of us will try to provide necessary assistance. 

Attach SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file to the new thread will be a good start as well as error messages on the phone's Status "page". 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

can I use the Cisco 7821 without any Cisco Hardware or Software?

There is a strong movement of people using Cisco phones but using 3rd party call managers.  I am using Asterisk and I've got 7940/7960 & 7970 phones at home and they are working fine.   Asterisk, natively, supports SIP but can also support SCCP.  

I have only the SIP-Account from my provider.

Depends on some voice provider the phone can register directly with them or Cisco or 3rd party call manager can be configured to register with the voice provider (and the phone registers with the Cisco or 3rd party call manager).  

Search in this forum for "Asterisk" and there should be some threads available.