cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CP-9971-C-K9 IP phone

frankgenao
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon.  I know nothing, as will soon become apparent, about Ip phones.  I purchased a CP 9971 from a private seller on ebay thinking it woudl be a great phone for my home office.  I have Verizon Fios Internet and phone service, so I thought I could just plug and play this phone to my phone line.  When I receive the phone I realize it has only two ports for plugging it in. One for Computer and the other for Network.  I tried both of these with the Ethernet from my router but no luck.  The phone reads Phone Not Registered.  So the questions is........is there any way to make this phone work with Verizon Fios phone service?  I thought Verizon used VOIP, but the phone is not registering.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance guys.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have choosen the worst possible phone for VoIP service.

Advice, re-sell and get something from the SPA line of products or another maker.

Otherwise good luck reading documentation, setting up TFTP servers, and be generally very frustrated.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmmmm ... I hope you are a very patient person.  Configuring Cisco CP-9K for non-CUCM environment takes time and a lot of patient.  If you do end up getting it working, you'll also learn to swear like a seaman.

First up, do you know what Asterisk is?  Asterisk, in all different flavours like Trixbox, FreePBX or Elastix, can get your 9970 to work. 

If you have limited funds, then you can load Asterisk into a Raspberry Pi using a distro.  See here.

But will it work?  Yes, and it will work very well.

NOTE:  If you are not willing to go down the Asterisk path and you're willing to part with your phone, let me know.  I am very interested ... if the price is right.