Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Ip Phone 7911 Bootloop After Factory Reset

Riccardo54207
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I've found a Cisco IP Phone 7911, connected to my POE switch and I wanted to do a factory reset.

I followed this guide:

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Applications Menu button flashes on and off, press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until the message LED on the handset flashes on and off in sequence in red.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

After doing that, the phone is stuck in bootloop, the only thing that i can see, is the boot screen (attached to this post) 

I tried doing the same procedure twice, but i've obtained the same result.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue?

9 Replies 9

The below video explains the process of upgrading the firmware without Callmanager.

if there is no option to do manual configurations of option 150 on 7911, connect the phone to a switch with DHCP and option 150 pointing  to your PC running where the TFTP is running(try to keep PC and Phone in same vlan). the TFTP folder should have  the files extracted from the ZIP. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTdeb1YMtsI

Response Signature

Thanks for your quick reply and for sharing that video, it was helpful.

My problem is that, when i do the 123456789*0# procedure, i don't get the "upgrading screen" but it stucks on the screen I earlier shared. Is it normal?

This model has reached end of life and  firmware files are not available in Cisco portal.you  need to find files from  some other sources. 

its normal, and you can try the option mentioned in the video if you get the ZIP  files.

keep the pc and phone in same vlan. configure DHCP with option 150 pointing to your pc. Run TFTP on your PC.  extract and keep the ZIP file  in the TFTP folder. 

Response Signature

Sorry, but I'm Italian and I don't understand what do you mean with option 50??

Anyway:

I managed to know the IP my router (192.168.100.100) is giving to the phone: 192.168.100.145.

Then I've found the SIP firmware, extracted, the files in there were similar to the ones that I saw in the video.

I set the Tftpd64 (the latest version) as the video explained, of course with the correct IPs and in SETTINGS\DHCP\ in:

Def. Router i put my router IP and not my PCs IP.

Disconnected and reconnected the phone, I've done the 123456789*0# procedure, but nothing, there is no data transfering?

All this is so frustrating!! Thanks for giving me an help, I'll pay you a beer if you'll ever come in Italy!

Opption 150 point to TFTP address and phone use this IP address to download the files.

• since  you have all the firmware files you need to connect the phone and pc to same switch and keep them in  same vlan.
  • configure DHCP pool on the switch you can use the below template. change the IP address according to your network.

ip dhcp pool Voice

network 10.60.51.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.60.51.1 

option 150 ip 10.60.51.10<<<<< this is your PC IP address where the TFTP run.

Response Signature

Thanks a lot for being so kind with me.

Today, I finally did it, I managed to load the SIP firmware to the Cisco Phone and now it works!

If someone is a beginner like me, this 3 links should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3sxduUt5a8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUK6d3s1Im4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhE3qk-kQNY&t

If I haven't understood badly, now the only way to configure it, is to load the XML configuration file.

Where do I find this XML file, and which parameters do I have to edit?

Are you trying to register  this  phones  to a CUCM/CME or trying to register with Thirdpasrty PBX ?

Response Signature

Excuse me, but one more time i'm not understanding.

My VoIP provider just gave me the username, the password and the server to which i have to connect to make calls.

I just want to make calls and receive from outside, I don't want to create an internal VoIP system.

What do I have to do in order to configure it with the parameters I've got?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: