Helpful
Replies

CISCO IP PHONE 8851 & 8832

KaMaLoRa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Greetings,

Currently working out with Cisco IP Phone 8851 and 8832 however got stuck with this prompt message. Is there someone here who can help us to go through?IP Phone Error.jpg

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The phone doesn't have a valid TFTP (or can't reach it) or configuration file from CUCM/CME in order to register, configure either one and you can move forward.

FYI, this has been asked many, many times before, a quick search would have provided the answer.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Sir @Jaime Valencia,

What if the plan is not to use a CUCM/CME but will integrate into other that uses SIP protocol, will that be possible? Is the phone still be able to use or am I going to upgrade the firmware for it to be integrated?

If you have phones with MPP firmware yes. With Enterprise firmware, possible but not recommended as it is a PITA to setup.

Response Signature

What is PITA?

Have you ever heard of the concept of search engines? I'm quite sure that use of for example Google and searching for PITA would give you the result that is means Pain In The Ass.

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg, ahahahahaha, I thought the term is something related to Cisco or any other network related concepts, I'm searching for it but can't find an appropriate match. Anyway, thanks so much for your insights, it is greatly appreciated.

In our case, as per research, I've found out that it can't be possible to upgrade our devices into MPP firmware due to:

1. Model of the device (CP-8851NR) is not eligible from Enterprise to MPP Firmware Migration.
  2. CP-8832NR can be migrated into MPP but some features may not be supported. With that, kindly please do some checking  before the migration. If this can't be successful then don't take the risk. I used this link as a reference 

Sir @Roger Kallberg and Sir @Jaime Valencia, I just have one follow up question, do you know if what features of CP-8832NR might not be supported after the migration?

Sorry, but no. I don’t have any experience with MPP software. There are a few others in the community that has experience in this area, hopefully you’ll get help from them on this.

Response Signature

Sir @Roger Kallberg thank you so much, I appreciate your help and prompt response.