Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco IP Phone not registering

raja Saravanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have added an IP phone manually to the CUCM, but the phone is not registering, when connected to the network, the phone displays cisco logo and then shows " MAC " address and a message " Upgrading " on the screen, how to fix this. the phone have been showing this message for more than 5 hours.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this happens on first boot without any subsiquent restarts it means the phone does not have a firmware image at all and is trying to download one. It will request a DHCP lease and expect the TFTP address for UCM or CME in option 66 or 150. Once it gets that far it will try to download firmware from the server.

You need to check the basics here.

• Are other phones able to upgrade their firmware?
  • Is your DHCP server is setup properly?
  • Is the phone configured in CUCM or CME so it has a configuration file?
  • Is the switch port configured for a voice vlan? This is a common mistake as the DHCP option 150 is not configured on the data vlan.

View solution in original post

what is the callmanager version you use? was there any firmware upgrade on the callmanager for this IP Phone model. The probable reason would be that the phone is downgraded in its firmware and is not finding a suitable firmware to get upgraded. Check the firmware on other phones and on this phone of same model IP Phone. Try to force the Phone load on the callmanager to use the one on the callmanager if u see there is a difference. You can check the fimware info on the Phone-->model information

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this happens on first boot without any subsiquent restarts it means the phone does not have a firmware image at all and is trying to download one. It will request a DHCP lease and expect the TFTP address for UCM or CME in option 66 or 150. Once it gets that far it will try to download firmware from the server.

You need to check the basics here.

• Is the switch port configured for a voice vlan? This is a common mistake as the DHCP option 150 is not configured on the data vlan.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your advise, hope you are doing good

How to check this?

DHCP is properly configured

The phone is configured in CUCM

Thw switch port is configured for voice Vlan, option 150 is used in DHCP configuration.

Actually, I was using this phone for 3 months, but removed for two days for using it in LAB, when I reconnected in the network, I am facing this issue of not registering, the phone shows CISCO logo and upgrading msg.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaggy

what is the callmanager version you use? was there any firmware upgrade on the callmanager for this IP Phone model. The probable reason would be that the phone is downgraded in its firmware and is not finding a suitable firmware to get upgraded. Check the firmware on other phones and on this phone of same model IP Phone. Try to force the Phone load on the callmanager to use the one on the callmanager if u see there is a difference. You can check the fimware info on the Phone-->model information

Hi Madhu,

I have registered the phone to a remote site, when I checked in the call manager, phones are not downloading firmware from the call manager, this is the only phone registering to the remote site, call manager version " System version: 6.1.4.1000-10 ".

App Load ID : jar42sccp.8-4-3-16.sbn
Boot Load ID :  tnp62.8-3-1-21a.bin
Version :  SCCP42.8-4-4S

But I am not able to find above information for my phone, how can I check in my phone, it is showing only cisco logo and upgrading msg with MAC address continuosly.

I connected my phone to call manager version 7.X for testing purpose and then reconnected to call manager version 6.X, after this I started facing this issue.

Message was edited by: raja Saravanan

Message was edited by: raja Saravanan