cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR4321 CME12.1 SCCP auto registration not working

critchey880
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco ISR4321 router that had CME10.5 on it. We recently purchased a service contract and upgraded the IOS which upgraded the CME12.1 which allowed us to be able to auto register SIP phones (just for testing purposes). While the SIP auto register works perfectly now the SCCP auto register fails to work.  It seems like the commands in the telephony service are messed up and I am trying to figure out if I am missing something or there is a bug on this CME or what is going on.

According to the documentation it is saying I should enter:

auto assign 1 to 42

this returns % Ambiguous command:  "auto assign 1 to 42"

I see there is an auto-register, like in SIP, which does actually show up both in the show running and show telephony if I do auto-register 1-42.  However, when I enter the command, I get *Jun 27 14:57:30.890: %PARSER-5-HIDDEN: Warning!!! ' auto-register 1-42' is a hidden command. Use of this command is not recommended/supported and will be removed in future.

And the phones do not auto-register. 

Again, I know people will say that you should not auto-register but we are simply using this router to test phones so we do not want to have to enter MAC addresses just to make for that purpose it makes no sense.

We do have a support contract so if there is some bug I can see please let me know.  If I need to raise a ticket I will be happy to do so but figured I would ask here before doing so.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just tested this with a G2 and ISR-4k. You are right. I would suggest opening up a TAC case or if you can upgrade this to 12.2 and then see if the issue persists.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

critchey880
Level 1
Level 1
Actually the phones do register but they do not get assigned a DN hence can not call between themselves to be tested hence not auto registering to a DN like I want. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

I attached my config if anyone wants to look.  Auto registration worked on CME 10.5 but stopped on CME 12.1. I did make some changes and remove some commands it did not seem to like.  Any and all help greatly appreciated.

So what is happening is the phone does register but it does not automatically make the ephone 1 like it did previously in CME10.5. The issue is this does not assign the button with the extension to be able to make a call so the phone can not be tested fully which is the purpose of this router. If I go in, do a ephone 1 and just mac-address it it will automatically fill out the mac-address and type (because the phone is registered).  Then I can do button 1:1, recreate the config file, and restart the phone and it comes up as expected.  This again is a lot of added extra work that I would like to avoid that was not neccesary in CME10.5.  Am I simply missing something in my config or is this a bug.  Can anyone help or am I just talking to myself at this point?

Can you share your CME config please ?

I already attached it as CRRSCCP.txt.  If you want me to post it to a message instead let me know and I can do that as well but I do find it easier to read in a .txt file myself.  Thanks I appreciate the help. I have tried a bunch of variations and not been able to get this quite to work right.

That's fine, no worries. I missed that post of yours, my bad.
Now, your config looks good. How many phones are currently registered ? Can you post an output for "show ephone reg" ?

auto assign 1 to 42 is correct right?

So why does it return % Ambiguous command:  "auto assign 1 to 42" and does not show up in show running or show telephony.  If I do auto-register 1-42 it does show in show running and show telephony but either way the phone registers but does not auto create the ephone and the button on the phone to dial.

I just have the one 7941 connected to the system.  I can connect a different phone if you like.  Here is the output of "show ephone reg"

ephone-1[0] Mac:001E.F728.CBCA TCP socket:[1] activeLine:0 whisperLine:0 REGISTERED in SCCP ver 22/17 max_streams=5
mediaActive:0 whisper_mediaActive:0 startMedia:0 offhook:0 ringing:0 reset:0 reset_sent:0 paging 0 debug:0 caps:8
IP:192.168.10.100 * 52077 7941  keepalive 2 max_line 2 available_line 2
Preferred Codec: g711ulaw
Lpcor Type: none

Just tested this with a G2 and ISR-4k. You are right. I would suggest opening up a TAC case or if you can upgrade this to 12.2 and then see if the issue persists.

Thank you I was contemplating opening a TAC but thought I was missing something silly and I do appreciate your help. 

If you could possibly help me with another related question since you brought up upgrading to CME12.2. I installed the Fuji 16.8.1 IOS software which resulted in CME12.1. Would the Fuji 16.7.2 result in CME12.2? It seems like the Fuji 16.8.1 would be a higher release but the date is earlier. I have tried to use the feature navigator but it is incredibly confusing (it said this 16.8.1 would be CME10.5 which was clearly not the case). Thanks again for the help.

Interesting. XE 16.8.1 should be CME 12.2. IOS and CME versions are directly proportional i.e. the higher we go on the IOS, the higher CME version we will get.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/33matrix.html

Can you downgrade to 12.0 through 16.6.1 and then test ?

Oh wow that is a lot clearer thanks.  Just so you don't think I am crazy here is a show version and show telephony. Could that be why this is not working is there is something wrong with the image? I got it from the cisco downloads https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286006221/type/282046477/release/Fuji-16.8.1. Yes I can try a downgrade and see if it resolves the issue.

Router#show version
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.08.01
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], ISR Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.8.1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2018 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 27-Mar-18 13:43 by mcpre

Router#show telephony
CONFIG (Version=12.1)
=====================
Version 12.1
Max phoneload sccp version 17
Max dspfarm sccp version 18
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express
For on-line documentation please see:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Since you mentioned that, I happen to be running 16.8.1 as well and I am on 12.1 as well. There is either some discrepancy in the matrix or the actual XE code.

Actually I do not see a 16.6.1 available for the ISR4321 router. I am unsure what I should download in this case then.

Do you see a 16.6.3 ? That was a second rebuild for Polaris 16.6.1