cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco phones 6911 not auto re-registration

Sergey Ptushkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i have a little trouble with my 8.6.2.10000-14 and Cisco Phones 6911.

When i restart my server CUCM , 6911 phones not auto re-registrations, but other model 6921, 3905, 7911, 7961G, 9951 it's ok work and register.

I have to restart each 6911 phone manually by disconnecting and turning on the PoE cable, this is bad practice.

I have latest firmware on 6911 - 9.3(1)SR2. but i can't understand why auto-registrations not worked after restart my server CUCM.

Can U help me plz??

Thx))

11 Replies 11

Have you given a try to reset [not Restart] the phone from CUCM web page ? As a reset would follow the entire phone boot up process. 

HTH

Regards

Abhay

Kindly rate all helpful posts !!!

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal
The Only Way To Do Great Work Is To Love What You Do. If You Haven’t Found It Yet, Keep Looking. Don’t Settle

How does this help ? If status and ip address on devices - "Unknown"

Yes, in that scenario it won't.

Is the phone able to get an ip address, if yes then what happens if you try to ping the ip address of phone from CUCM [Find the IP address from phone physically] ? Do you get a successful response ?

Regards

Abhay

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal
The Only Way To Do Great Work Is To Love What You Do. If You Haven’t Found It Yet, Keep Looking. Don’t Settle

Phones not get ip address and not re-register until i turn off and turn on the patch cord in the phone.

May be there is timer "expired re-registration" ?

Trouble can be isolated here.

Switch should deliver voice VLAN information to the IP phone using CDP as a delivery mechanism. Phone should send a DHCP request, asking for an IP address on its voice VLAN.
The DHCP server should respond with an IP address offer. When the IP Phone accepts the offer, it receives all the DHCP options that go along with the DHCP request.

As the phone is not getting an IP address, that means either the phone is not sending a DHCP request [temporarily] or the server is not responding to it. You can collect the PCAP's from the phone in order to analyse it further on this basis. Seems to be a bug. 

Regards

Abhay 

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal

If the phones arent getting an address - I'd imagine the vlan the phone is on (or voice vlan) doesnt have DHCP correctly configured - as Abhay says.

The DHCP needs option 150 configured - which should point to the CUCM TFTP server that contains the XML config file (and auto registration)

Ensure the configuration on the 'Device Defaults Configuration' page on Call Manager corresponds to the correct software revision for your 6911 - ( 6911 - 9.3(1)SR2 )

(Device | Device Settings | Device Defaults)

You should also ensure that Auto Registration is enabled - but if its working for other devices - then this is probably OK

Best of luck

Finally - I'd add- the 69XX series phones are notorious for their slow boot up and registration - it takes an absolute age.

this is my pcap from cucm

192.168.11.2 cucm

192.168.11.113 and etc... (74 Destination Unrecheable) - its 6911

this is foxclilog from 6911 

22:28:51:448 f [SUU] Tftp Timeout 
22:28:52:750 % [cent] FSM event(RA_TIMEOUT) / state(PROVISIONING) / cause(0)
22:28:52:750 w [cent] Unexpected event(RA_TIMEOUT) / cause(0) / at state(PROVISIONING)
22:28:53:448 f [SUU] Tftp Timeout 
22:28:54:750 % [cent] FSM event(RA_TIMEOUT) / state(PROVISIONING) / cause(0)
22:28:54:750 w [cent] Unexpected event(RA_TIMEOUT) / cause(0) / at state(PROVISIONING)
22:28:55:448 f [SUU] Tftp Timeout 
22:28:56:879 % [cent] FSM event(RA_TIMEOUT) / state(PROVISIONING) / cause(0)
22:28:56:879 w [cent] Unexpected event(RA_TIMEOUT) / cause(0) / at state(PROVISIONING)
22:28:57:448 f [SUU] Tftp Timeout 

Like I said earlier, phone is not sending a DHCP request. As per the PCAP, only UDP and ICMP packets can be seen, no other packet is visible.

Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 192.168.11.2, Dst: 192.168.11.113
Internet Control Message ProtocolI
Type: 3 (Destination unreachable)
Code: 3 (Port unreachable)
As no other packet is being sent [kind of freezes], that is why you have to reboot the phone in order to get it registered. Again it seems to be a bug where the phone stops sending any other packet.

HTH

Regards

Abhay

Kindly rate all helpful posts !!!

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal

I change on my cisco catalyst c3560-48 configuration on port where connected 6911 phone:

before:

interface GigabitEthernet0/12
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport voice vlan 2
mls qos trust cos
spanning-tree portfast

after:

interface GigabitEthernet0/12
switchport voice vlan 2
mls qos trust cos
spanning-tree portfast

and its solved my problem!!!!! Thnx

That is good to hear 

Regards

Abhay

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal