cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 4.2(1), what happens with the messages if a voicemail extension is renamed to another phone number?

Hi,

In our Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1) installation, I have a question:

What happens with the voicemails and greetings on a phone, if the phone-number is renamed from 1234 to 2345 in the Cisco Unity 4.2 extension and in our "Cisco Unified CM Administration - System version: 7.0.1.11000-2" installation?

If I delete the voicemail subscriber 1234 then the voicemails and greetings on the phone are deleted, but are they also deleted if I just renames a phone-number?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Well - basically the extension in Unity on the subscriber account is only checked 'live', i.e. when a call comes in to VM.

So for example, you start with ext 1234 in CCM and in Unity.

1) You change the Unity extension field to 1235. At this point, calls forwarded to Unity from ext 1234 would not get to the right voicmail box - you'd get 'welcome to Cisco unity' as there was no matching extension found in the Unity config. Similarly when you dial from ext 1234 to Unity direct, instead of being prompted for the PIN you would get the standard opening greeting.

2) You then change the CCM extension to match the Unity extension 1235. Normal service would then resume, and since you haven't deleted the Unity subscriber (the same Exchange mailbox and AD user account exist) all messages and other configuration (greetings, settings) would still be there.

The same would apply if you changed things in a different order.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Well - basically the extension in Unity on the subscriber account is only checked 'live', i.e. when a call comes in to VM.

So for example, you start with ext 1234 in CCM and in Unity.

1) You change the Unity extension field to 1235. At this point, calls forwarded to Unity from ext 1234 would not get to the right voicmail box - you'd get 'welcome to Cisco unity' as there was no matching extension found in the Unity config. Similarly when you dial from ext 1234 to Unity direct, instead of being prompted for the PIN you would get the standard opening greeting.

2) You then change the CCM extension to match the Unity extension 1235. Normal service would then resume, and since you haven't deleted the Unity subscriber (the same Exchange mailbox and AD user account exist) all messages and other configuration (greetings, settings) would still be there.

The same would apply if you changed things in a different order.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Thank you very much for the walk-through on the process! - I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius