Views
Helpful
Replies

Clear DNS Cache or DNS Preference?

vivia11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've associated my Cisco IP 8861 phone with an phone service. So every time I press a specific button, the phone will hit a specific service URL.

The service URL I'm using is: foo.example.com

When I do nslookup, I see:

Name: foo.example.com

Addresses: 10.0.0.1

However, in the logs of 10.0.0.1/10.0.0.2, I see that ONLY 10.0.0.1 is being hit. Is there some sort of DNS caching involved with the phone - can I disable this feature? I would like the phone to hit each IP 50% of the time. If there is no DNS caching, is the phone preferring one IP over another? Can I modify this feature anywhere on CUCM?

Note: Details have been changed.

Thank you,

Vivia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is no option to manipulate the DNS cache; however, the phone should respect the TTL provided in the DNS query.

Generally speaking, what you’re asking for is the responsibility of a load balancer. I suggest considering that as the better way to solve this problem.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is no option to manipulate the DNS cache; however, the phone should respect the TTL provided in the DNS query.

Generally speaking, what you’re asking for is the responsibility of a load balancer. I suggest considering that as the better way to solve this problem.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: