Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME: Noise on VIC2-4FXO PSTN calls

Hi,

we have 2921 with CME with a VIC2-4FXO connected to the telco providers network. Everything worked fine for a couple of months,
but since a few days we have a heavy distortioned ("motor") noise when we want to do an outside call (or receive an inbound call)..

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?

Relevant configuration extract:

voice-port 0/0/0
 cptone EG
 connection plar opx 1111
 impedance complex1
!
voice-port 0/0/1
 cptone EG
 connection plar opx 1111
 impedance complex1
!

!
dial-peer voice 1 pots
 description ** In and Out **
 destination-pattern 0.T
 port 0/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 2 pots
 description ** In and Out **
 destination-pattern 0.T
 port 0/0/1
!

Many thanks!

Heinz

3 Replies 3

nate fitzgerald
Level 1
Level 1

Separate the line from the router and plug a phone into the POTS line from the Telco and make a test call it could just be a ground hum on the tip or ting side of the pair from the Telco which is not an uncommon issue, is this on all PSTN lines or just one ? if it is on all lines verify the Router in grounded properly and there is nothing near the POTS lines going into the router that could be causing an electrical interference which could cause noise.  I could be wrong but typically noise on POTS line comes from the outside and is a cable issue with the Telco

Hopefully some of that helps

Thanks

Thanks!

It´s on both lines. When they are directly connected to normal analog phones, it´s working fine.

We did not chang anything on our end in the last 6 months, neither on the configuration nor on the physical side; it appeared all of a sudden.

Ok, you could try powering down the router removing the voice card and putting it back in. then powering  the router back up, there are some configuration commands you can add to the voice-ports but they are typically good for volume and echo problems not noise issues like you are having. I have seen voice cards go bad, which if you have SmartNet you can get it replaced, again verify the Router is grounded properly, besides that you might have a defective voice card, but hopefully not. sorry I am not much more help on this