Views
Helpful
Replies

Conference Bridge

Ekin Gumus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am trying to understand deeply the resource we use for UC. What is the difference between Hardware Conference Bridge and Cisco IOS Conference Bridge? I know Software resources come from CUCM by default. I have gone through some documentations but got lost honestly. Any way to explain so basic? Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Read here, table 1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmsys/CUCM_BK_C5565591_00_cucm-system-guide-91/CUCM_BK_C5565591_00_cucm-system-guide-91_chapter_011001.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Quite simple, software conference bridge is CPU resources on any CUCM node, and hardware bridge are PVDM (DSP) resources on a router registered with CUCM.  There are many limitations to software bridge, i.e. only G711 codec support. In distributed call processing scenario it is preferred to use local hardware resources so that calls are bridged locally instead of hair pinned to CUCM server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Read here, table 1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmsys/CUCM_BK_C5565591_00_cucm-system-guide-91/CUCM_BK_C5565591_00_cucm-system-guide-91_chapter_011001.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

that is what I was looking for Jaime, appreciate it.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Quite simple, software conference bridge is CPU resources on any CUCM node, and hardware bridge are PVDM (DSP) resources on a router registered with CUCM.  There are many limitations to software bridge, i.e. only G711 codec support. In distributed call processing scenario it is preferred to use local hardware resources so that calls are bridged locally instead of hair pinned to CUCM server.