Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Cisco TFTP Server for CUCM

ian.ryder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have a Publisher and two Subscriber (v 6.1.3), I have now gone over the magical 1250 devices where Cisco recommend a standalone TFTP server.

I understand to deploy it I need to add it to the Publisher as a Server and then once up and running enable the Cisco TFTP service, then update the Option 150 address in my DHCP scope to point towards the new TFTP server.

A couple of questions, does the TFTP server need the following installed at the same level as the Publisher/Subscribers:

• Dial Plans
  • Device Packs
  • Locales

Thanks and any other comments appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

srsivara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ian,

- By architecture, the TFTP server would be the one pushing out the firmware load and  to the phones - so you would need your device packs, containing the bundle of firmware loads, to be on your standalone TFTP server.

- locales install files which the phones get from the TFTP server, such as their dictionary - so you would need locales on the standalone TFTP server

- Dial plans are files used by the CCM binary file. If you are not planning on running CCM service on the server ever, you don't need to install dial plans on that server.  However, as best practice, it is good to have dial plans, locales and device packs uploaded on this standalone TFTP server, in case the server roles were adjusted at a later point in time.

- Sriram

Please rate helpful posts !

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

srsivara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ian,

- By architecture, the TFTP server would be the one pushing out the firmware load and  to the phones - so you would need your device packs, containing the bundle of firmware loads, to be on your standalone TFTP server.

- locales install files which the phones get from the TFTP server, such as their dictionary - so you would need locales on the standalone TFTP server

- Dial plans are files used by the CCM binary file. If you are not planning on running CCM service on the server ever, you don't need to install dial plans on that server.  However, as best practice, it is good to have dial plans, locales and device packs uploaded on this standalone TFTP server, in case the server roles were adjusted at a later point in time.

- Sriram

Please rate helpful posts !

Hello Sriram

Does it exist any document about deploy and configuration for a new stand alone TFTP server?

Thanks

Teodora

What is your hardware?  With 1250 phones and adequate platform you can safely run it on any CUCM, it all comes down to the platform.

SRND would be the best souce for recommandations on TFTP and detailed description of how it operates.  To add another TFTP server you simply install another CUCM subscriber but do not enable the any services, but TFTP service.

HTH,

Chris

Hello Chris

We have singular phones/ video end points in multiple locations and as we have Cluster over WAN where we have latency limitation between CUCM nodes, all they are in one region, and the TFTP is sunning on those.

The end point number is not that big as 1200 but having sites in  APA and EMEA make the TFTP firmware transfer very slow and taking us long time to do firmware upgarde. Is there any latency limitation between standalone TFTP server and CUCM cluster?

Basically I am looking for any TFTP server deployment guide

Teodora

80 ms is the max delay.

What are your endpoints? have you looked into Peer Firmware Sharing feature to minimize WAN firmware download? 

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hi Chris

Peer Firmware will be not an option as we have singular phones/ video end points in multiple location..If 80 ms is latency limitation between CUCM cluster and TFTP standalone server, then it wont work in our case as we have  worldwide deployment in APA, AMR and EMEA and my idea was to have TFTP in each region.

Teodora.

Are you saying you have devices all over the world using centralized cluster? Where is the cluster located?

You cannot have endpoint in one part of the world registering to cluster at another part if the delay exceeds 150 ms one way which is probably the case here, it is not supported nor will it work successfully as long latency will impact things like dialtone, phone refreshes, etc, etc.

If you simply want to place a standalone TFTP server checkout this great blog from fellow contributor Mr. Bell:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/options-for-distributing-cisco-phone-firmware.html

HTH,

Chris

We don’t exceed 300 ms round-trip in our deployment, whatever if the mentioned by you 80 ms limitation is one way delay then we are good.

Thank you for the blog, it is a very good place to start for read. Anyway any Cisco documentation about the same will be high appreciated.

Teodora

It's all in the SRDN document, let me know if you need the link.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Error: 404 - Category not found

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your reques