cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP 8945 ip phones not registering in a CUCM 10.5.2.12901-1 version.

jberthin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support Forum:

We are implementing a fresh installation of CUCM version 10.5.2.12901-1 being installed in a Cisco UCS Blade solution, and most of the ip phones being used in this project are the 8945.

There is an old version of CUCM 8.6.2 that is working prior to this migration, in older Cisco UCS C200M2 stand alone servers. Also with most of the IP phones being the 8945 phones.

Also, we have been buying within a 5 years period of time, 3 times the 8945 ip phones, and now I am facing the following scenario:

Being prepared to migrate the whole set of 8945 phones, some of them register in the fresh new installed CUCM 10.5.2.12901-1 version, either with SIP or SCCP firmware, with NO device package updates installed, and neither any Firmware Updated of the 8945 phones being installed or updated, and some of the OLD 8945 installed and running in the CUCM 8.6.2 version do not register.

The firmware default version that loads on the 8945 phones shown in the "Device Defaults Configuration" is:

Cisco 8945 - SIP - SIP894x.9-4-2-8

Cisco 8945 - SCCP - SCCP894x.9-4-2-8

The Status Phone Messages displayed on the 8945 phones screen, show on the OLD 8945, either with the SIP or SCCP firmware, that the firmware upgrade process keep going and going with no registration results, and in the CUCM Administration Device/Phones screen shows the ip phone is unregistered, so the UPGRADE IN PROCESS procedure goes infinite with no registration success.

The main concern is that we have to migrate and install the WHOLE quantity of 8945 phones (old and new devices) at once, and we are stuck in the upgrade in process procedure.

At the same time, we have an sticker in the new 8945 phones Boxes, that were delivered from Cisco, that the SW version to use on these phones should be later than 9.4.1.

We have been dealing with documentation that suggest to go through the "device pack" updates, and on this fresh CUCM 10.5.2. 12901-1 version installation, make an update to cmterm-devicepack10.5.2.13034-1.cop.sgn version or earlier device pack software.

At the same time, the documentation suggest to do the same procedure related to the 8945 phones firmware update, through 9-3-4-17 step update, until 9.4.2 version can be reached for the old 8945 phones.

I am stuck in this process, because as you will see, I am dealing with OLD and NEW versions of 8945 ip phones, and it seems they do not work easily with the latest firmware release.

I understand also that I should load the same firmware and device pack updates in all cluster servers, I mean Publisher, and subscribers.

Please if anybody can help me on this issue, considering I am in a migration plan that must have at least 950 CP8945 ip phones running in the CUCM 10.5.2.12901-1 version soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Javier

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Javier,

Device Packs cannot be deleted.

for firmware , u can try the commands file list tftp *8945*  to check what  all firmwares are there.

for deletion, u can try file delete tftp *8945*[make sure u are erasing the correct file] from putty

either U can involve TAC or do the re-installation.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Javier,

Could you tell us what is the current firmware version you see on the phones that are not registering.  As you mentioned, if its an odler version, the upgrade to 9.4.2 version will fail as this needs to be a step upgrade. In that case you first need to upgrade the phoens to 9.3.4 and then you could upgrade all of them to 9.4.2.

HTH

Rajan

Hi Rajan:

Thank you for your answer and suggestions.

We are confused because probably we made the firmware upgrades not in the recommended order. please let me complement this information, as I attach the reports we have on the phone registration process.

1) topology description is: Publisher & 1 Subscriber are installed in one city segment; 1 other subscriber is installed in another city segment. all of them are running

System version: 10.5.2.12901-1
2) the 8945 phones are the massive phones used on the project, and they were acquired in different years, 5 years ago some of them, and 2 months ago the last ones.
3) in the city were is located the PUB and 1st. Subs, they will need to use the OLD and NEW 8945. actually they registered the Old 8945 with the firmware version 9.3.4, and they will soon must register the New ones that in the box come with the sticker "SW must use 9.4.(1) or later"
4) IMPORTANT. we made many firmware updates just on the 2nd.subscriber, and device pack updates looking for the 8945 accept, Question? is it possible to delete or erase these prior updates, or should we consider to reinstall the 2nd. subscriber?
5) the final accomplishment should be to get ready for the migration day, in all phones, please be aware that most of the 8945 phones are actually working fine with CUCM 8.6.2 version, and the migration day, they will go through the CUCM and firmware update. and this should be accomplished at once? is this possible?
Thank you very much for your cooperation, and if you need further information, we are ready to provide it.
Javier

Hi Javier,

Device Packs cannot be deleted.

for firmware , u can try the commands file list tftp *8945*  to check what  all firmwares are there.

for deletion, u can try file delete tftp *8945*[make sure u are erasing the correct file] from putty

either U can involve TAC or do the re-installation.

regds,

aman