Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE - DTMF Translation

huntl
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

One of my customer currently has the following topology, but they are having inbound IVR DTMF issues.

IVR <--- switch <--- cme <--- sip (rfc2833) <--- cube (with dsp) <--- sip (inband dtmf) <--- sip trunk <--- Carrier (AAPT)

It was diagnosed that their Carrier (AAPT) is using inband DTMF, which either their CME, or their IVR doesn’t understand.

Hence we are looking to implement a Cisco CUBE in the middle to do the DTMF translation.  But we are just cautious whether that would work. 

In particular, we need to ensure that the CUBE will do the following:-

•1.       In-band DTMF translate to Out-of-band DTMF

•2.       And vice versa from Out-of-band DTMF back to In-band DTMF

Can you please briefly explain me how CUBE allow to make outband DTMF to inband DTMF?

I don’t have much knowledge on Cisco CUBE on whether it can translate DTMF or not.  From my understanding it does the following functions:-

•1.       CUBE to protect the inside CUCM or CME from being exposed to the Internet

•2.       For some providers e.g. Optus, it provides SIP early offer, whereas CUCM requires delay offer.

Cheers,

Hunt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Karthik Sivaram
Level 4
Level 4

hi Hunt,

1.you will need a transcoder registered to CUBE in order to

strip out the dtmf from inband and pass it along as out of band.  Please see the

attached link for instructions for configuring the transcoder:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5640/products_configura

tion_example09186a008092d6b3.shtml

2. answered in 1

regarding your other questions...

1. You have a couple of choices to protect the inside network

-have access-lists set up

-in IOS 15 there is a toll fraud enhancement feature for trusting  certain ip addresses that can be used for the calls

-use NAT

2.With cube you can have delayed offer on the incoming leg and   early offer at the outgoing leg and vice versa..

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Karthik

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Karthik Sivaram
Level 4
Level 4

hi Hunt,

1.you will need a transcoder registered to CUBE in order to

strip out the dtmf from inband and pass it along as out of band.  Please see the

attached link for instructions for configuring the transcoder:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5640/products_configura

tion_example09186a008092d6b3.shtml

2. answered in 1

regarding your other questions...

1. You have a couple of choices to protect the inside network

-have access-lists set up

-in IOS 15 there is a toll fraud enhancement feature for trusting  certain ip addresses that can be used for the calls

-use NAT

2.With cube you can have delayed offer on the incoming leg and   early offer at the outgoing leg and vice versa..

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Karthik