cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC 8.6 Unified Messaging

refram
Level 3
Level 3

I'm using Unity Connection 8.6 and Exchange 2010.  When I set up Unified Messaging I am able to get a successful test on the Unified Messaging Service.  But when I set up a Unified Messaging Account for a user and test it, there is a message saying that CUC "failed accessing" my account on my exchange server.  But unlike the rest of the items I've read dealing with this type of issue, there are NO recommendations as to what to try next.  Anyone have any suggestions?

9 Replies 9

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This would point to permissions on the Exchange server for the UM service account.  I believe when you test a UM service it is just validating that it can login using the service account credentials; however, when you test a UM account for a user then it would be testing permissions on that user's mailbox.

Hailey

Can you point me to a document that details those permissions?  The one I've been working from is extremely convoluted.  I have been assured by the person who set up the user that he followed the directions, but it's hard to know for sure because I'm not positive I could have followed them myself.

Hi.

Try read this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/unified_messaging/guide/85xcucumg020.html#wp1171782

HTH

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

The Unified Messaging guide that was linked here is what you'll need.

Given the documentation available, I'd guess that you may have already

looked at it. Do you have a good idea of what the Exchange environment

looks like?

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM, refram <

I checked with the AD guy and he said he had not run the EWS commands because Echange 2010 wasn't at SP1.  He upgraded the server and ran the EWS commands successfully.  However, I'm still not able to connect.  I did notice, though, that the Mailbox Sync, the Message Transfer Agent, and the Notifier are continually rebooting themselves.  Is this because they still cannot communicate with AD, or is there another issue here?

Another issue IMO...the MTA is the service that actually enables the delivery of messages to the message store (i.e., the Unity Connection mailbox database).  The notifier is the service that enables MWI to turn on/off.  They are both critical services from a system perspective.  In a cluster, they will only run on the active node.  You can only start/stop critical services.

The Mailbox Sync service enables the synchronization with Exchange so that service not running would certainly cause an issue but the issue with the other services would indicate something else is likely going on here as well.

Also, from a functionality/licensing perspective Single Inbox is treated like IMAP.  So, for the users that you want to use Single Inbox - you have to also have enabled IMAP/Single Inbox in the Class of Service.

Hailey

Got this working.  Once I had eliminated the problem with the flapping services, I got with the AD/Exchange people.  They are using Exchange 2010, by the way.  Also, in the Unified Messaging Service that I created in CUC, I'm using NTLM for the Web-Based Authentication Mode.

It turned out that, in spite of the fact that nothing was showing up in the test I ran within the Unified Messaging Account Status, I was actually generating 401 errors on Exchange.

The key to the fix was in the EWS directory within IIS on the Exchange server.  If you click on the EWS Virtual Directory in the left-hand pane of the IIS configuration utility, then look in the right-hand pane, there's a link to Windows Authentication.  Click on that link and it will show the Providers window.  My understanding is that in the Enable Providers field, "Negotiate" is listed by default, but "NTLM" has to be added into the field as well.  To do so, find NTLM in the Available Providers drop-down.  Select it, and click Add. 

The other thing is that it will often take 5 to 10 minutes before the configuration change seems to filter itself through Exchange, so have a cup of coffee before testing.

Well, the key here is that the authentication mode you configure in the CUC UM service must be supported/enabled on Exchange. NTLM is set by default in CUC when creating a UM service (if I remember correctly) but can be changed to support NTLM, basic, or digest depending on Exchange configuration. The authentication type used must be the same for all of the virtual directories that are leveraged by CUC. In your case, it sounds like NTLM was not configured for EWS so it had to be added...other configs were good. Right?

Yes, and the link above was probably the best source of information.  It's a bit difficult to weed through, but it's the best one out there.  If you get UM configured, but it still doesn't work, another good link is this troubleshooting page.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/troubleshooting/guide/8xcuctsg038.html