Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1 cluster with two databases?

On a 7.1 cluster there are 10 servers, one publisher and 9 subsequent subscribers.  On the publisher there are certain phones and gateways that show up in the searches.  On some of the other servers, there are other gateways and phones that come up.  How can there be two databases in one cluster?  Maybe I'm getting a little behind on the architecture?  Can someone point me to the docs on that?  Here is an example.  I was working on a remote site.  The router showed up on the publisher for that site but the VG224s showed up on another server, a subscriber (labeld TFTP), along with some users at that site who didn't show up on the publisher.  Is it a problem with the cluster?  Thanks for any information on it.

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, it's still all one DB.

You might be running into replication problems.

If you're running more than 8 servers with CCM process this is beyond what we regularly support, I'm not sure if that might have something to do with this.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

In a 10 server cluster, the following would be supported (and I'm assuming you have more than 1000 users so this would also be a common cluster setup):

1 Publisher (dedicated to DB, web services, no call processing services running)

1 TFTP Server (dedicated to TFTP, no call processing services running)

4 Active Subscribers

4 Backup Subscribers

I believe you are running into issues due to your cluster configuration, as Java suggested as well.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

The server labeled TFTP has devices registered to it.  How do I find which ones are the active and which are the backups?  And what would I check in the cluster configuration to make sure it is correct, or incorrect?  Thanks.

There are over 18,000 devices on it and over 70,000 End Users.

To know which one is primary and which one backup look at the CUCM groups.

Go to serviceability on each server and see how many have CUCM running.

To get regular support from Cisco it can only be up and running in 8 servers.

HTH

java

HTH

java

I know that last week there were two users and a some gateways that I couldn't find on the publisher.  I went on the TFTP server, which is on a different subnet and found them there.  Several days later, they were on the publisher.  Either I really messed up, or there is something funny with the database. 

A collegue tried to add a phone on a subscriber and got a 'java exception, can't add phone' error something.  He went on the publisher and was able to add it.  I looked  up the error and it's a database issue.

I looked at the CUCM groups and the TFTP server is not part of them.  Four subcribers are baking up the other four subscibers.  The CallManager service is running on all 10 servers, the pub, 8 subs and the TFTP. 

Should the Callmanager service be turned off on the TFTP server?

The RTMT shows 2 for the status.  Is there another way to see if there is a database problem?

Thanks.

CUCM shouldn't be running in anything other than the 8 subscribers. You need to stop the service in the PUB and TFTP.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Is the original poster absolutely certain that all the CUCM servers are in one cluster?

Are the servers all listed in CCMAdmin under the System > Cisco Unified CM menu?

If not are there inter-cluster trunks configured under the Device > Trunk menu?

If the servers are in the same cluster and some phones cannot be seen on the Publisher then there are serious database issues.

1) CCM running on more than 8 servers is UNSUPPORTED, period.

2) ALL of your web adminstration (adding phones, gateways, etc) should take place on the PUBLISHER.  This is standard practice and is outlined in the SRND.

3) What is likely the best design for most superclusters (with 11 servers) is this:

1 Publisher

2 Dedicated TFTP servers (they do not participate in call processing at all)

4 Active Subscribers

4 Backup Subscribers

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

When you say CUCM running, you mean the CallManager Service?  So, I should go in to Cisco Unified Serviceability>Tools>Service Activation>choose the publisher or TFTP  IP address, uncheck the Cisco CallManager Service for the pub and TFTP servers?

For James' questions:

They are all in the same cluster according to System > Cisco Unified CM menu, 10 servers.

Although there are a lot of ICTs, none show going to another cluster.

"When you say CUCM running, you mean the CallManager Service?  So, I  should go in to Cisco Unified Serviceability>Tools>Service  Activation>choose the publisher or TFTP  IP address, uncheck the  Cisco CallManager Service for the pub and TFTP servers?"

Answer to both questions is yes.

HTH

java

HTH

java